MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Soft deleted content is checked for duplicate content.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In MyBB 1.6/1.8 a post check for duplicated posts by the user while summiting a reply is done.

In 1.8 the this check is also applied over soft deleted posts. So the following error message:
Quote:There was an error posting your reply: You have already posted this reply to the specified thread. Please visit the thread to see your reply.

Shows even if the former post is soft deleted. I'm unsure if this is the expected behavior but IMO it shouldn't.

Please suggest.
On one hand it's useful the way it is right now. If the post was deleted by an admin / mod I would say it is not supposed to be posted again. On the other hand if the user deleted the post accidentally, why not allow him to post it again^^

With the current system - no log who deleted a post - this is of course not possible. So I'm really undisclosed what might be the best solution...
Right now if I try to post in a thread with no posts I get this error (if There are deleted posts). What will you as an user think? Users have no clue about the system behind in most communities.

At least a proper error message should be given.
I haven't tested but the same may apply for unapproved posts.
As a person working with IT quite a lot, I'm a really bad reference for what I would think as a user Toungue (we're all looking at software from an other point of view^^) But sure you're right, that a normal user should be informed properly why he's not able to post a message ^^

Probably ignoring soft deleted posts for the duplicate post check would be the best solution... if a user reposts content deleted by mods / admins other actions can be taken to prevent the user from reposting the content again...
Unapproved posts are an other thing^^ as mod / admin I would be quite annoyed if I had to delete the same post multiple times just because a user did not get, that his post awaits moderation - so the duplicate post check should block the posting, but display an appropriate error message to the user (if not already the case, like you said - one has to test that...)
I think the best approach would be to show proper error messages deepening on the post/thread status.

BTW, how it comes users are able to posts the same thread multiple times? I will check that too.
Hi,

Thank you for your report. We have pushed this issue to our Github repository for further analysis where you can track our commits and progress with fixing this bug. Discussions regarding this bug may also take place there too.

Follow this link to visit the issue on Github: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/1469

Thanks for contributing to MyBB!

Regards,
The MyBB Group