MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How can I degrade MyBB to 1.6 version?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! I'm new in MyBB. I downloaded 1.8 version, but I soon found that most themes are not compatible with this version. Is there a way for me to go back to 1.6 version?
Thanks a lot! Smile
there are some good looking themes for MyBB 1.8 here => MyBB 1.8 Themes

I understand that you had installed MyBB 1.8 as a fresh forum (i.e. not upgraded from 1.6.x)
if so there is no simple method to downgrade to MyBB 1.6.15 - it would be better to remove
earlier installation and install MyBB version 1.6.15 (MyBB 1.6.15 download link available here)
It would be much better if you could find a theme. But if you want to downgrade, the only way I know requires reverting to a backup of your previous version. This means you will loose all activity that happened after you installed 1.8.
(2014-09-24, 12:40 PM)Andrew B. Wrote: [ -> ]It would be much better if you could find a theme.  But if you want to downgrade, the only way I know requires reverting to a backup of your previous version. This means you will loose all activity that happened after you installed 1.8.

Sounds like a fresh install so I'd go with simply removing the install and installing MyBB 1.6

That being said, if you find a 1.6 theme that you'd like to use you could reach out to the author and see if they will be willing to update it (or are doing so already) as many are getting themes up to date.
If someone has a better way to revert, I hope they speak up.
(2014-09-24, 07:19 PM)Andrew B. Wrote: [ -> ]If someone has a better way to revert, I hope they speak up.

I'm afraid MyBB was designed to go up not down. A backup is needed but again, sounds like a fresh install so nothing much will be lost.
We do not support downgrades.
As for now, 1.6 is only on maintenance release, meaning no new cool features would be added to it, only bugfixes (if any).
So I'd probably advise you to go with 1.8. Moreover, there are plenty of good designers that could help you make your theme compatible with 1.8 (in exchange for a small amout of money Smile).
I've managed to downgrade on of my forums and to be honest it was not easy, once the new merge system came out it has basically been made impossible.
If you don't have a lot of members and posts I'd suggest just uploading 1.6 and starting again.