MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ethical Issues in Computing and Technology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, just doing a little project for a computer science ethics class and I need to come up with a topic/question regarding an ethical issue in the Computing and Technology Industry.

Examples:
- Is targeted advertising ethical on social networks/search engines?
- Is leaking government documents that expose crime a violation of the law?
- What are some ethical issues in regards to robotic surgury?

Right now my topic is Google's driverless car and the effects it will have on insurance, liability, etc. but I would be  interested in hearing any really good ideas you guys have to offer. All input is appreciated! 
The driverless car is pretty legit. If I had to do one on ethics and computer science though, I'd definitely go somewhere towards piracy, or the NSA stuff.

Although I'm sure that's been done and done over till it's dead, so maybe a more original topic like yours would be best.
Is hacking your place of educations mainstream server a breach of privacy if they're too stupid to change the password every 90 days?
Doesn't one of the driver-less cars take pictures for Google maps streetview? I'd say the people captured in those shots not agreeing to being published, as well as their houses etc. as a potential ethics topic.
(2014-09-26, 03:56 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Is hacking your place of educations mainstream server a breach of privacy if they're too stupid to change the password every 90 days?

You think that's bad? You should see the orange show that is my school district's ITS department. Big Grin

I do think that's a good ethics topic though, honestly. If you warn someone and they ignore it, is it then fair game to exploit the vulnerability?
(2014-09-26, 04:51 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-26, 03:56 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Is hacking your place of educations mainstream server a breach of privacy if they're too stupid to change the password every 90 days?

You think that's bad? You should see the orange show that is my school district's ITS department. Big Grin

I do think that's a good ethics topic though, honestly. If you warn someone and they ignore it, is it then fair game to exploit the vulnerability?

1) to teach the school district a lesson? Yes, of course. Toungue

2) to compromise the confidential information of thousands of people stored on the servers? I'd argue negative...
(2014-09-26, 04:56 AM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-26, 04:51 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]

1) to teach the school district a lesson? Yes, of course. Toungue

2) to compromise the confidential information of thousands of people stored on the servers? I'd argue negative...

Off-Topic: A couple friends and I are only interested in #1, don't care at all about gaining access to confidential information. It's sad to see them still running XP for the foreseeable future, unsupported Novell products, long-dead and vulnerable Oracle server systems (with READMEs still live on the site, publicly viewable), computers which boot to USB before hard disk (Ophcrack, anyone?), and let you run any EXEs you want (JTR, anyone?). Or the symlink on the website that lets you freely browse up the network tree. That's about half of it Toungue.
(2014-09-25, 09:40 PM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, just doing a little project for a computer science ethics class and I need to come up with a topic/question regarding an ethical issue in the Computing and Technology Industry.

Examples:

Right now my topic is Google's driverless car and the effects it will have on insurance, liability, etc. but I would be  interested in hearing any really good ideas you guys have to offer. All input is appreciated! 

1.  By accessing their website you basically give them the right.  I wouldn't be against the cookie clause that I believe is now law in Europe?

2.  This largely depends on what country you are in.  In the United States, whistle-blowers are supposed to be protected.  Not to be political here(and I won't argue with anyone), but Obama doesn't seem to understand this.  

3.  I don't particularly see any so long as the robotic arm has been tested extremely well.  We can use technology for some great things and I believe robotic surgery is a great way to make our surgeries safer, faster, and more effective.  The doctor is controlling the robot, and I believe there should always be other staff helping him in the room in case of an emergency where you have to rely on the quick thinking and intelligence of the human mind.  The robot is just a tool, and a doctor always uses lots of tools.  Whats wrong with developing a new tool to help?         
Thanks for all your input guys, I think that I will proceed with the driverless cars topic, just wanted to see if there was anything else that would peek my interest that I'm not aware of.

(2014-09-26, 01:48 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-25, 09:40 PM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, just doing a little project for a computer science ethics class and I need to come up with a topic/question regarding an ethical issue in the Computing and Technology Industry.

Examples:

1.  By accessing their website you basically give them the right.  I wouldn't be against the cookie clause that I believe is now law in Europe?

2.  This largely depends on what country you are in.  In the United States, whistle-blowers are supposed to be protected.  Not to be political here(and I won't argue with anyone), but Obama doesn't seem to understand this.  

3.  I don't particularly see any so long as the robotic arm has been tested extremely well.  We can use technology for some great things and I believe robotic surgery is a great way to make our surgeries safer, faster, and more effective.  The doctor is controlling the robot, and I believe there should always be other staff helping him in the room in case of an emergency where you have to rely on the quick thinking and intelligence of the human mind.  The robot is just a tool, and a doctor always uses lots of tools.  Whats wrong with developing a new tool to help?         

Yeah these were just examples given to me, I pretty much have the same opinions on each though.
(2014-09-26, 03:59 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't one of the driver-less cars take pictures for Google maps streetview? I'd say the people captured in those shots not agreeing to being published, as well as their houses etc. as a potential ethics topic.

Faces get blurred so do registration plates. That's where they stop with the protection.
I'm not sure, but if you make a request they can blur out other areas too, but only if they can be legally forced to do so.