MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugin updates tab
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It should be easy to check for updates for plugins... but it is not working fine. MyBB uses own DB of mods etc. I installed about 10 plugins from this database (older versions) and then go to check for updates tab -> only one plugin was listened here that it has a newer version available... others outdated plugins are not listed... why? I think this tab is then really useless
(2014-09-26, 09:50 AM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]others outdated plugins are not listed... why?

It's probably because many plugins still doesn't have a codename included in their code (same as the codename entered when creating a project on the Extend site).
When they have a guid I believe they are still checked with the old mods site, and if the codename is provided then the 1.8 mods site version information is used.

To be fair, it's still not documented anywhere (the Docs still refer to using guid) and I had to dig into the code to find out how the plugins version checking works in 1.8.
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but... when the codename is not provided, its value is not the same with the filename of the plugin? See plugins.php#L203.

I've looked at the source code again and it seems that it is mandatory as all plugins to have a codename in order to be checked for updates. ("guid" is not required anymore, btw).

What is your suggestion anyway? To be removed the tab with "Plugin Updates" just because some developers do not provide this info in their code? I'm pretty sure that all devs will include a "codename" in their future updates and then this tab will be useful.
Well, the current code is inconsistent.

The plugin list assumes that the codename is always the file name without .php extension: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/blob/featur...s.php#L512

But the plugin updates assume that the developer provided the codename:
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/blob/featur...s.php#L211

I think that the plugin updates should use the file name too, in case the codename is not provided.
(2014-09-28, 10:56 AM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]I think that the plugin updates should use the file name too, in case the codename is not provided.

It would create some confusion if MyBB began checking versions based on the filename all of the sudden. Not every plugin has to be registered on Extend, so this could lead to codename collisions.
Currently it can lead to collisions too, if someone manually provides a codename which is used by another plugin.
(2014-09-29, 09:11 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Currently it can lead to collisions too, if someone manually provides a codename which is used by another plugin.

But that is less likely then using same filename.