MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Best Place to Paste Popunder Code?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What would be the correct template to post this in.  I noticed on my blogs with a similar number of unique visitors I get 10x the number of impressions.  I have been pasting it in the index template right before the </head> tag but the thing is hardly ever getting served according to my stats would I be better off placing it elsewhere.  

For example today with roughly the same number of uniques one of my blogs has over 3k impressions on the popunder while the board has only 60 impressions.

Using 1.8 with default theme.  

It is an exoclick popunder ad code, but I have noticed the same problem with all the other network's ad code I have tried to use. I can't seem to find the best place to paste it to get the popunders served in comparable numbers to my blogs.
put in the header template or the footer template
I will repeat what I've said before: pop-unders are even more annoying than pop-ups. I have stopped visiting sites because of them. With pop-ups, the visitor at least knows there's another window. Please consider another source of revenue (banner ads, smallish ads after the first post, possibly pop-ups) instead of pop-unders. If you are still determined to use pop-unders, I would suggest following m's advice. OTOH, if it's strictly JavaScript, you may want to consider headerinclude.
I would have agreed with you 4-5 years ago, but that is not reality today. If you want to watch a YouTube video Google makes you sit through an ad before you can see the video. Almost every major print newspaper or magazine site makes you watch a presentation before you read a new article. ESPN and all the other major sports sites pop up alarmingly loud video ads you have to see before you can check scores. A simple Google search for the term "flights" turns up 11 ads and 10 organic results. You have to look at two paid ad placements and then a search box that appears to be a low fair search box, but it is really a Google Product that includes only results that pay's Google commissions before you get to the organic results.

It is a different world. Banner spots are worth almost nothing unless your severing a million page views a day or more. The user is accustomed to seeing popunders, popups, and mandatory pitches before they see the content. It is also what media buyers want to buy.

(2014-10-07, 02:45 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]I will repeat what I've said before: pop-unders are even more annoying than pop-ups. I have stopped visiting sites because of them. With pop-ups, the visitor at least knows there's another window. Please consider another source of revenue (banner ads, smallish ads after the first post, possibly pop-ups) instead of pop-unders. If you are still determined to use pop-unders, I would suggest following m's advice. OTOH, if it's strictly JavaScript, you may want to consider headerinclude.
(2014-10-07, 09:18 PM)Kingfish Wrote: [ -> ]I would have agreed with you 4-5 years ago, but that is not reality today.  If you want to watch a YouTube video Google makes you sit through an ad before you can see the video. Almost every major print newspaper or magazine site makes you watch a presentation before you read a new article.  ESPN and all the other major sports sites pop up alarmingly loud video ads you have to see before you can check scores.

That is because people let them get away with it. I happily block ads on sites that show more ads than content, I'll also happily view ads on/support sites that don't shove advertising in every bit of empty space.

(2014-10-07, 09:18 PM)Kingfish Wrote: [ -> ]It is a different world.  Banner spots are worth almost nothing unless your severing a million page views a day or more.

I show a single banner ad up the top of my pages and, yes,  it doesn't make much money - but just below it I have a thing telling users that they can donate to hide ads, even if they only donate a few dollars you end up with a lot more money than you would get from advertising and they get a better experience browsing your site in return.
There are other ways to cover site costs than showing more and more ads.

(2014-10-07, 09:18 PM)Kingfish Wrote: [ -> ]The user is accustomed to seeing popunders, popups, and mandatory pitches before they see the content.  It is also what media buyers want to buy.

Define accustomed.

If you mean I try and find the site that showed the popu(p|nder) to add it to my adblock list or close the tab from the site that shows an interstitial ad before the content, then yes, I am accustomed.
I am a news junkie and always have been. Nowadays when I go to Google news, MSN News, Yahoo News or even independent news aggregate sites looking for stories to read almost every news story I read makes me sit through a 15-30 second video pitch about some service or product before I can read the story. It is not a matter of me letting them get away with it as it is Google approved. If I want to read the news I am going to be forced to watch a sales pitch of some type. Of course I could buy an ad blocker, but for the type of ads they are doing now you will be sitting there for 15-30 seconds looking at nothing until you get to see the content you were promised so what is the point of the ad blocker.