MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Broken images in posts.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

After updating to MyBB 1.8, I've noticed a lot of posts have had their images broken. Not anything on the theme, but rather the content of the posts.

http://www.vgfacts.com/forums/thread-127...l#pid45501

My conclusion is that the images themselves are link to from Facebook, and the actual URL to them doesn't end in the image format itself. Facebook adds a lot of fluff onto the end of an image's url sometimes, as do a number of other sites. 

For example:
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/1416552...r3jQJ20%3D

I'm just curious if this is a feature that can turned off? Because it's really irritating...
See the link I provided - your link is not a solution to the problem.

The issue isn't that no images are displaying, it's that some images aren't displaying, when they very clearly should be.
(2014-10-08, 10:10 AM)tsrdazz Wrote: [ -> ]See the link I provided - your link is not a solution to the problem.

We can't see it because we don't have permission, you know.

But looking at the description again, I'm sure you're just using wrong URLs that don't directly lead to images. That isn't fixable or "a feature that can be turned off", you have to use proper URLs.
This is something that broke after upgrading MyBB from 1.6.10 to 1.8... They worked before, they don't work now. These are the direct links to the images, they are how the images are supplied by websites like Facebook.

Again, it once worked, it doesn't now. I've been using MyBB for almost 6 years... I know how it works. And this is different, with no obvious way to fix it.
^ when I click on that long link, it doesn't show image for me (also tried this). does it show for you ?
I found that image links broke too--ones that worked before 1.8. You can see the image in the wysiwg editor, but in post or preview, it breaks.

I found a post that suggested the urls were too long (god knows FB urls are super long) and that caused the images to break.

When I used an image shortener, the images worked fine, so I think that is indeed the problem.

However, it's a pain to shorten the url of every other image. 

So, O marvelous maestros of MyBB, where may we amend the max length of the image urls? 

Thanks!
Well, if you're sure that the link to your image is correct and opens fine (unlike above), then I guess you set too low value for ACP -> Configuration -> Posting -> Number of Characters before Word Wrapping Occurs

It should be higher than the usual FB image link length.
Quote:Well, if you're sure that the link to your image is correct and opens fine
Links are def correct. I post a lot of pix from FB.

Quote:then I guess you set too low value for ACP -> Configuration -> Posting -> Number of Characters before Word Wrapping Occurs

Huh. Okay. Maybe that default changed with 1.8? Because I've never even noticed it before. 
  • Anyway, the default setting is 80 (which is also the average line length in my forum). 
  • The average FB image length seems to be about 215 characters (really, FB!). 
I changed the setting to 0 to test, and now those pesky FB images post perfectly!

So far, I don't see any chaotic breakdown in the forum  Angel Since it's a per word setting, I'm guessing only long ugly urls and filenames will be a problem.

So I'll leave it at 0 for a while and see what happens. 

Problem solved!
Thank you, Destroy666!
(2014-11-12, 03:28 PM)Alia Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe that default changed with 1.8? Because I've never even noticed it before.

No, it is like that since 1.6.x or even earlier.

(2014-11-12, 03:28 PM)Alia Wrote: [ -> ]Since it's a per word setting, I'm guessing only long ugly urls and filenames will be a problem.

If you're using a theme compatible with 1.8, the setting is actually useless because long words are broken by CSS now. You can try suggesting to remove it in 1.8 Suggestions and Feedback forum.
Pages: 1 2