MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I have made a little list of feature I'd like to see in 2.0 if it have already been suggested sorry...

List:
1.Social login itnegration
2.New PM system more similar to a chat
3.Tableless theme
4.Plugin installation through ACP
5.Edit plugin from ACP
6.New reputation system
7.Notification system

Sorry for my bad english
These answers are just my personal thoughts and do not represent what the team will for sure do.

1) Probably will happen because social sites are big.

2) I'm hoping for something like a conversation PM series. I've done that on a private forum I do.

3) You don't necessarily have to be tableless for mobile. Just earlier today I read about a package where you can add the class responsive to tables and it takes care of things.

4) Maybe, but would be a security risk since an Admin might not have FTP access if they aren't the website owner. What if for example a file got uploaded that was a backdoor to do stuff?

5) If you want to be able to edit a plugin from the ACP that means you will have to give the plugin files more permissions than the standard 0644. I believe you'd also have to have the plugins folder also with the execute permission. It'd be quite a security risk. I would object to this.

6) Not sure what you want changed so I can't really comment on this.

7) Would be nice, but needs to also be server friendly since it could potentially generate many queries.
(2014-10-09, 08:13 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]These answers are just my personal thoughts and do not represent what the team will for sure do.

1) Probably will happen because social sites are big.

2) I'm hoping for something like a conversation PM series.  I've done that on a private forum I do.

3) You don't necessarily have to be tableless for mobile.  Just earlier today I read about a package where you can add the class responsive to tables and it takes care of things.

4) Maybe, but would be a security risk since an Admin might not have FTP access if they aren't the website owner.  What if for example a file got uploaded that was a backdoor to do stuff?

5) If you want to be able to edit a plugin from the ACP that means you will have to give the plugin files more permissions than the standard 0644.  I believe you'd also have to have the plugins folder also with the execute permission.  It'd be quite a security risk.  I would object to this.

6) Not sure what you want changed so I can't really comment on this.

7) Would be nice, but needs to also be server friendly since it could potentially generate many queries.

Thanks to answer me...
1.I suggest, add Facebook, Twitter and Google+ beacuse is most used

2.Ok

3.I think tableless is better

4.I think something like Wordpress plugin and theme managment... If you are from ACP you can only install plugin from mybb.com

5.I'ts only a suggestion

6.I personally prefer simple like/thanks system

7.Ok
(2014-10-09, 06:32 PM)Pe46dro Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,
I have made a little list of feature I'd like to see in 2.0 if it have already been suggested sorry...

List:

Agree, but the list needs to be dynamic. Each region has different popular social media sites (though Facebook is pretty much universal). Also, the list of popular social media sites changes on a monthly basis. It's best to have a social media module system (or even better, a generic login module so we could more easily integrate with 3rd party software on the same server).

(2014-10-09, 06:32 PM)Pe46dro Wrote: [ -> ]2.New PM system more similar to a chat

I think a threaded layout would be welcome.

(2014-10-09, 06:32 PM)Pe46dro Wrote: [ -> ]3.Tableless theme

Don't get rid of tables just for the sake of getting rid of tables. Tables are meant for tabular data. The debate is over what qualifies as tabular data. Tables should not be used for layout.

(2014-10-09, 06:32 PM)Pe46dro Wrote: [ -> ]4.Plugin installation through ACP

This might be possible for simple plugins coming from the MyBB plugin repositories. I would hate for it to unzip archives from random URLs. Also, you need to take into account that the admin directory may have been renamed for security purposes, but you can't blindly rename admin in all plugins (the fake admin plugin has two folders - one called admin which is fake, then the real folder).

(2014-10-09, 06:32 PM)Pe46dro Wrote: [ -> ]5.Edit plugin from ACP

What do you need to edit about each plugin?

(2014-10-09, 06:32 PM)Pe46dro Wrote: [ -> ]6.New reputation system

I think reputation should be associated with a user, while threads and posts can have a like / dislike or other rating system. I haven't used the existing reputation system to intelligently make any suggestions.

(2014-10-09, 06:32 PM)Pe46dro Wrote: [ -> ]7.Notification system

Are you talking about notifying a user when they are mentioned in a post, or notifying a user there's a new post to a thread they are subscribed to?
(2014-10-14, 02:04 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]

List:

Agree, but the list needs to be dynamic. Each region has different popular social media sites (though Facebook is pretty much universal). Also, the list of popular social media sites changes on a monthly basis. It's best to have a social media module system (or even better, a generic login module so we could more easily integrate with 3rd party software on the same server).

(2014-10-09, 06:32 PM)Pe46dro Wrote: [ -> ]2.New PM system more similar to a chat

Don't get rid of tables just for the sake of getting rid of tables. Tables are meant for tabular data. The debate is over what qualifies as tabular data. Tables should not be used for layout.

This might be possible for simple plugins coming from the MyBB plugin repositories. I would hate for it to unzip archives from random URLs. Also, you need to take into account that the admin directory may have been renamed for security purposes, but you can't blindly rename admin in all plugins (the fake admin plugin has two folders - one called admin which is fake, then the real folder).

I think reputation should be associated with a user, while threads and posts can have a like / dislike or other rating system. I haven't used the existing reputation system to intelligently make any suggestions.

Are you talking about notifying a user when they are mentioned in a post, or notifying a user there's a new post to a thread they are subscribed to?

1.Ok

2.Ok

3.I think tableless design should be a standard in all site but it's only a my opinion

4.Yes...It's true...But during installation i think it can be set

5.I like have a fast access to all file

7.Both
As far as the notifications system is concerned, I agree that it definitely should be an essential feature. I will say that I definitely prefer IPB's implementation over Xenforo's implementation as far as the general concept is concerned, at least in my experience of participating on forums. IPB generally uses notifications to centralize the same types of notifications that are used on MyBB, but does so with a single notifications system to make notifications more consistent, centralized, and manageable. I feel that with xenforo, every time I log in I'm suddenly spammed with 20 notifications about new posts in threads I have participated in. Not sure how many are in the same camp, but I personally find that a bit on the annoying side after a while. Toungue

In addition, having a simple, centralized notification system would really be great for plugin developers. As soon as you have plugins for reputation notifications, post "like" functionality, status updates, etc., managing all of those notifications as PM notifications in the header becomes a mess. Toungue
(2014-10-16, 05:43 PM)Pe46dro Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-10-14, 02:04 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]

List:

1.Ok

2.Ok

3.I think tableless design should be a standard in all site but it's only a my opinion

4.Yes...It's true...But during installation i think it can be set

5.I like have a fast access to all file

7.Both
During installation? Honestly, MyBB should either have it as an admin feature out of the box or not at all.
Building up such a complex system, simply to hide it behind a config file setting is a little counterproductive.