MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Adding A Chat Feature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2014-10-10, 03:30 PM)mwforum Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Darth Apple. I guess I used the incorrect term. I'm more concerned about server load. My forum has 800 members of which probably 100 are somewhat active. The most online at one time was 70. The most that would use the chat room at all is probably quite small.

Thanks for the information. This is a learning experience for me.

I am surprised your forum runs on a shared host with that kind of activity.  :p  Anytime I even tried to get close to that the shared host closed my account saying I was using too many resources or bluehost throttled me pretty badly.  And that's without a chatroom feature.    
Another option is http://www.cbox.ws/

Though this is a completely standalone chat, so it wouldn't integrate at all with myBB. The one benefit of it is that it's externally hosted, so it wouldn't impact your site's server load at all. It might not be what you're looking for, but just one more option for you to consider.

In my experience, most web hosts actually don't allow you to use scripts like Ajax Chat because they take up too many resources, so you'll want to keep that in mind as well.
(2014-10-10, 12:47 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]inferno shoutbox (modified version) should also work on MyBB 1.8

Inferno shoutbox (modified version) works but it actually has lots of visual issues for the messages.
I really do not like using that plugin for the moment. I prefer LightIRC plugin.

(2014-10-10, 01:58 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]AjaxChat works pretty well. http://frug.github.io/AJAX-Chat/

Is that plugin similar to LightIRC?
Yes, its similar to IRC chat, but without the forced "flash" of irc. It's written in PHP, so it's a bit nicer. And it integrates right into MyBB. It will take your forums and make a separate chatroom for each. And it has a very basic bot that you can extend to not be so basic.

I ran it on a shared host on a very small forum just fine. I switched to VPS before I had my, medium small forum so I don't know how well it fares with a bigger forum. I was staff on a bigger forum that did have it installed though. But they got throttled by bluehost quite a bit.
Thanks everyone. This is all good information and it seems to be helpful to others besides me.

(2014-10-10, 03:59 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]I am surprised your forum runs on a shared host with that kind of activity....

At any given time in the day there are usually 20 - 30 people accessing the forum. Most of those are guests and not members. Instead of 800 members, I should have said 800 people that have registered and been approved. A bunch have not returned since they registered. Periodically I go through the member list and delete the ones that never returned after registering. I haven't done that in a long time so it's long overdue. If I did that it would probably bring the membership down to 400 - 500 members. At some point I suspect my hosting service will advise me that I need to upgrade to a more expensive package since my forum members post a lot of pictures.
In case you aren't aware, there are options for user pruning under Settings. You can set it up so the system will automatically delete no post accounts after x days.
(2014-10-11, 12:50 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]In case you aren't aware, there are options for user pruning under Settings.  You can set it up so the system will automatically delete no post accounts after x days.

Ohhh! Thanks for the tip. That indeed could be helpful. Do you know if you can set it up to delete members who have no posts and have not visited in a certain number of days or months? I have quite a few members who visit regularly to read the posts but they don't post and I don't want to delete them.

Thanks for all of the help.
(2014-10-11, 10:35 PM)mwforum Wrote: [ -> ]Ohhh! Thanks for the tip. That indeed could be helpful. Do you know if you can set it up to delete members who have no posts and have not visited in a certain number of days or months? I have quite a few members who visit regularly to read the posts but they don't post and I don't want to delete them.

Thanks for all of the help.

Yes you can. Under Configuration there is a setting group called User Pruning. You have to set that to be "On" then alter the other settings to your liking. Just have them post once since it seems there is no last active time type of setting. Maybe have an introduce yourself forum which is an easy way to get them to have one post.
Pirata Nervo said that he'll be rewriting the MyShoutbox plugin, it's an amazing pugin for a chatbox thing, he said it's supposed to be out before the year ends.
Does Ajax Chat work with MyBB 1.8?

Oops! Never mind. I see this was answered in an earlier post.
Pages: 1 2 3