MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: After upgrade to 1.8 users cannot rate their own threads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After upgrade to 1.8 users cannot rate their own threads. A respective pop-up is displayed on a rating attempt.
I recognize this is the expected behavior in 1.8 which cannot be changed through settings.
Sorry, but this is an example of an extremely unbethought and user-unfriendly change.
E.g., on my forum thread ratings are used to set and aggregate user ratings of various items (books, movies etc.) being thread subjects. Now if I write a review of a book I cannot rate it myself.
Please advise of any possible workaround. Thx.
And thank God that users can't rate they're own thread.
But you as admin should have that opportunity
The Holy Bible does not prohibit one to rate his own threads, so I think I don't need any further religious clarifications about what my users should do and what they should not ;-). Me and my users have been quite happy rating their own threads for some five years, and not a single problem arose out of that.

What I'd appreciate would be a technical advice of how to work this matter around.

Thx.
Listen guys, the forum bible clearly states in the book of relationships (chapter 5, verse 2):

Quote: Thou shalt not be permitted to allow users to rate their own threads.

Anyway, although I haven't tried this, I imagine you could fix this with a simple core file edit. It looks like this can be achieved simply by removing the following from ratethread.php:

if($thread['uid'] == $mybb->user['uid'])
{
	error($lang->error_cannotrateownthread);
}
He he. I did not mean it mean

I don't know if this one will work on 1.8, but you can try to change the compatibility to 1.8
http://mods.mybb.com/view/extra-forum-permissions
Thx Darth Apple, this tweak worked.
Issue solved.