MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How much bandwidth do I need?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So here's the situation:

I've been running a small community forum for 2-3 years now. Over the past year it's been losing traffic so I've decided to move from paid hosting to free. My old host (valcato) offed unlimited bandwidth so I've never really had to worry about that. The host I'm moving to (gigarank) offers 25gb of monthly bandwidth. Since I've never had to keep an eye on our bandwidth usage I have no idea how much a forum would use.

So here's my question: How much bandwidth do you guys usually use? Is trying to run a forum with 25gb perfectly okay or kinda impossible?
25GB should be okay for a small forum. You shouldn't need more unless you're dong hundreds of thousands of page views or hosting large files (graphics, attachments, etc). I'm not sure what they're charging you, but if you're concerned about it, t1hosting.com gives 100GB for $4 per month.
I run on 10GB Bandwidth per month.
I've used half a gig on my forum so far this month. :p I suppose its a pretty small forum with only about 10 or so active members and an average of 16 posts per day.
(2014-10-13, 01:32 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]I've used half a gig on my forum so far this month. :p I suppose its a pretty small forum with only about 10 or so active members and an average of 16 posts per day.

But it's an awesome forum nonetheless. *goes to post on it*

OP, a question: why the move from valcato? I've always been good with them. Just curious
HolyPhoenix that's basically the size of my forum xP I mean we have a shout box which gets used a lot on good days so I think I'll be fine comparing it to yours.

I'm moving from valcato just because it's been hard for me to keep my forum active since I've gotten older and I have more responsibilities (when I started it three years ago I had a lot less work to do @_@). Because of that it's less active than it used to be and I really can't justify paying the 5 dollars a month....which is actually not bad but it adds up for a highschooler. xP Although I really would recommend them because their customer service was amazing and I don't remember having any down time.
If that is your forum size I wouldn't worry about it. I use DVZ Shoutbox without any problems. And have used both of the other shoutbox mods available too. My bandwidth is still that low.