MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is it safe to upgrade to Mybb 1.8 from Mybb 1.6.15?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Just visited mybb.com after a long time and saw mybb 1.8 has been released. Just curious to know answers of my questions:

1. Is it safe to upgrade to 1.8 from 1.6.15?
2. Do i need to make changes to my custom theme if i upgrade to 1.8?
3. any compatibility issues for plugins etc?
4. Can i upgrade safely or i have to ask an official here?

i have a large forum that is 4 years+ old.

Please advise.
of course, it is safe. take back ups of the database & files. take a note of active plugins.
put forum offline. deactivate all the plugins. upload MyBB 1.8 files & run the upgrade script

custom theme needs updating to MyBB 1.8
upgrading guidance Wrote:Visit your Admin Control Panel, then go to Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates. This will show you a list of all the templates that have changed during the upgrade.

You can either revert these templates to their default - meaning all the changes you've made to it will be removed - or you can see a Diff Report which will show you exactly what's changed. If you have a custom theme installed, it is probably best that you look at the Diff Report and apply the changes you need.

most of earlier version plugins are not compatible with MyBB 1.8 - some are updated and some can be made compatible

MyBB 1.8 plugins & themes section => http://community.mybb.com/mods.php

see upgrading guidance
When you say deactivate all plugins, do you mean each one individually, or can the disable all plugins option under Configuration > General Configuration be used?

Thanks
@Torengo, deactivate each plugin individually.
I updated a 1.8, and the problem i was facing that i forgot to deactivate the plugins and i just installed the verision to 1.8. I even did not have any backup for the files or databases. And i realized my forum was not working properly. So i moved back to 1.6.5 which was of no use, then again installed to 1.8 again and then i have individually removed every plugin files from my folders wherever they were present. it was time taking, but i finally was able to bring my forum back to life without any issues. So to avoid all the above, better deactivate your plugins, and then upgrade. If you possibly can, uninstall all the plugins, and then upgrade will be better. Must take a back of databases and files.

To be more sure, make a test folder and install your forum and try to upgrade it, if you see problem then rectify accordingly. But better deactivate and uninstall your plugins, Most of the plugins are not compatible with 1.8.
I upgraded without deactivating plugins. Plugins that were known to be incompatible were apparently deactivated. The only problem I ran into was the default (MyBB) templates not updating to the new style. I just reverted the templates and it fixed itself. The custom themes I made for one of the forums I upgraded were still compatible, rocking the old 1.6 template style since I didn't delete the old image files. I probably should have kept those template sets instead of just deleting them. Oh well.

In any case, it goes without saying, always make backups before modifying anything, including your database. It's always been industry standard to follow that guiding rule. It's also best to test the upgrade first to see if all installed plugins will interfere with the upgrade before upgrading the live/production forum. (I was lucky that it didn't).
Don't - no matter what people say - you will spend years of your life trying to get back to normal. The 1.8 upgrade is extremely buggy. It should probably have been called a 2.0, because that would have alerted many users that there are some major changes on the way. Wait until 1.8.1!