MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum trashed by 1.8 - can cPanel restore db?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So our forum also got trashed by the 1.8 upgrade. The common error - none of the JavaScript works. Froum is in default theme/template and even if we wanted to edit, can't be done - buttons and popups in the ACP don't work. So much for the tip to stay current with your forum software :-)

Since the only option is to reinstall the forum software from scratch, we find ourselves lucky to have made backups. Problem is - the only docs for restoring I can find start in cPanel with Softaculous, but then marvelously switch over to instructions for phpMyAdmin. Our cPanel installation doesn't have that program. Any ideas? 
If you send me a URL and details of a temporary admin account, I will see what I can do to fix the issues if you want.

If your cPanel install doesn't have phpMyAdmin, what does it have to manage databases?
Thanks. I found phpMyAdmin in one of the options for Softaculous in the end and installed it.
So at this point I have deleted the myBB version that was trashed by the 1.8 update and installed a clean version of myBB 1.8. The intent was to use our backup to populate the clean version of myBB 1.8 but that is apparently impossible. When using phpMyAdmin to apply the backup one runs into a ton of "field already exists" errors. I read that this is normal and just to drop all fields of the clean database. Did that and was able to apply the backup. At that point, however, the myBB installation is trashed again. This time all backgrounds etc are gone and the interface is reduced to blue hyperlinks.

So - myBB 1.8 is incompatible with backups from earlier versions, which I didn't know.