MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: VPS host recommendation and setup advice.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I am looking for a VPS host and if you can recommend an inexpensive USA based host I would be interested. I was looking at Digital Ocean which looks like a good deal.

Also I have never setup a VPS for hosting. If you have a tutorial/video or link I would love to have it. Wink I was thinking of going with Ubuntu.

Thanks
I have multiple VPSs with Ramnode and have been a customer for about a year and a half now. Ramnode is an excellent provider that I can very strongly recommend. Their uptime/reliability/bandwidth is great, and for the prices they charge, it's a pretty sweet deal.

Setting up VPSs is a bit of a pain if you've never done it before, although getting a basic LAMP setup is fairly easy. I typically end up doing nginx setups instead of apache setups because nginx is more streamlined and lightweight than apache, but unless your'e hosting chat rooms and ajax intensive content, the apache setup used on most hosts should work for you. Toungue

this article seems like a pretty good tutorial for a typical LAMP setup. Pay special attention to the mysql_secure_installation part.
Right on Darth,

I will check them out (Ramnode).

I think I can get through a setup, it's just I do so little Linux development and I am still newbie'ish. I will checkout your LAMP link.

Thanks.
Also, I like to run CSF/LFD as a firewall. Learn to tune that and you can catch a lot of failing SSH (or FTP/htpasswd, etc) brute force attacks and have the IP auto-blocked,
Do you have a forum to warrant going with a VPS? And what is your budget?

A VPS with DO is just a bare bones VPS and comes unmanaged and from the sounds of it, you don't have the knowledge to fully manage such a server.

With DO, you need to install a control panel, fully configure the server and maintain it (security updates etc) to prevent your sites from being compromised. Yes, you can outsource this work but in the end you're looking at the same price or even more if you shop with a fully managed VPS provider (which in most cases includes a free control panel like cPanel).

However, if you don't have a site with existing traffic to warrant a VPS then I recommend a shared provider just to get you started. Once you actually need to, upgrade to a fully managed VPS.
(2014-10-18, 08:00 AM)Vidiot_X Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I am looking for a VPS host and if you can recommend an inexpensive USA based host I would be interested. I was looking at Digital Ocean which looks like a good deal.

Also I have never setup a VPS for hosting. If you have a tutorial/video or link I would love to have it. Wink I was thinking of going with Ubuntu.

Thanks

Go with Debian. Lighter... to the tenth power. Doesn't come with the stuff you don't need.
I like Ubuntu because of the PPAs. I know it's easy to do in debian as well, but hey, I like doing things a certain way haha. Toungue

From a technical standpoint, debian probably is the better choice, but Ubuntu isn't a bad second. CentOS is generally pretty popular as well.
(2014-10-20, 01:17 AM)piridelli Wrote: [ -> ]Go with Debian. Lighter... to the tenth power. Doesn't come with the stuff you don't need.

Generally comes with older packages too, which is why I've never opted to use debian myself. Ubuntu can be slimmed down pretty quickly, with a bare-bones install using about 50MB of RAM (disclaimer: that was pretty extreme though, coming from a debootstrapped install). If you have 1GB of RAM on your VPS, or even just 512MB, the difference probably won't be a big deal. You can get Ubuntu + nginx + mysql + php-fpm + CSF/LFD running in under 350MB of RAM most of the time.
(2014-10-20, 03:58 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-10-20, 01:17 AM)piridelli Wrote: [ -> ]Go with Debian. Lighter... to the tenth power. Doesn't come with the stuff you don't need.

Generally comes with older packages too, which is why I've never opted to use debian myself. Ubuntu can be slimmed down pretty quickly, with a bare-bones install using about 50MB of RAM (disclaimer: that was pretty extreme though, coming from a debootstrapped install). If you have 1GB of RAM on your VPS, or even just 512MB, the difference probably won't be a big deal. You can get Ubuntu + nginx + mysql + php-fpm + CSF/LFD running in under 350MB of RAM most of the time.

I run that exact setup on Debian 7 that uses just 112 MB of RAM. Not saying Ubuntu uses more RAM - it'd probably use the exact same within 20 MB or so, just throwing it out there.

ryan@s3:~$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1024        964         59          0          0        850
-/+ buffers/cache:        113        910
Swap:          128         25        102

Most people who aren't apt in Linux usually believe they're running extremely low on RAM but it's just caching, which speeds up everything. http://www.linuxatemyram.com/
Well of course there is caching. Windows does this too xD Toungue

I still take pride in my RAM usage as far as memory allocated to specific processes is concerned though. I'm picky like that. Toungue
Pages: 1 2