MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tips for promoting and getting traffic to your MyBB forums!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's make this official thread for tips on how to promote your forum. err. I added MyBB there just to make it sound, umm, "MyBB", though the theory remains the same for most type of the forums.

1. Content
The first part is always the content, and/or something to offer. May it be fantastic discussions on a particular subject or downloads. Whatever, the main and foremost important thing.

2. Search Engine Optimization
You can install MyBB SEO Plugin to get search engine friendly URLs on your board, and to disable few useless pages which certainly negatively affects your search engine rankings.

3. Community Feel
If you are targeting teenagers, it's very important to make the community focused on that particular niche. Bright colors, impressive designs, a way to chat (an AJAX shoutbox on main page can be heavily utilized by a teenager community).

4. Something to do when bored
You should offer your members something to do when there's nothing else to do on your board. If you don't have a reason for them to stay on your board when they've read all the topics, replied all over, and still have time on their hands, chances are their quest for a better place may become alive, and they may drift away from your board.

Arcade, lottery/bank/shop or any similar plugins are good ways to make them stick to your forums.

5. Participate in the forums of similar niche
Yes! You don't give, and you won't get. So, participate in forums of the similar niche, while putting a link in your signature to your forums. You'll both get the traffic you want and will be able to capture new ideas for your own forum, while having a "free place" to say whatever you can't say on your board, because of being an admin.

Note: Respect rules, and follow the Forum Etiquette -- be a good citizen of internet.

6. Submit to directories
Submitting to directories is the latest trend, which somewhat helps in boosting your Page Rank over time, and helping with Search Engine Traffic. But keep in mind, submit only to good directories. You have to do some research on this subject, or learn it by experience. Ohh and please, don't get obsessed with checking your site PR daily, check it only once in a month.

7. Something controversial
It's a common, and pretty known way of getting traffic. Much of the social engineering is done via controversial topics, so use it. But use it wisely, and know the risks, it may rather destroy your forum if members are provoked. Avoid it, at all if possible, on forums with teenagers.

... It's not really a full article I am writing, so let me stop here. But as you guys make additions below, I will update my main post. Smile
1- This actually is the most important point, I saw that many people just make 20 boards, but don't produce any content. You see www.blablablaforum.com, www.letsmakeaboardasihavenothingtodo.com, but there're no sites. Of course you can get huge forums without providing anything, but i personally think this is a regretable behaviour. This is a personal opinion, still.

6- It seems that a good page rank doesn't actually mean a good search engine ranking.
Don't focuse too much on page rank.