MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Setting file permissions during installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am having trouble understanding how to alter file permissions during the installation process. http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/

I do not know what SSH access is.

I have read on the installation page that
"If you are using FileZilla you can right click on a file or directory and click File Attributes to modify the permissions of that file."

I am using FTP clients Fetch and Transmit.

I also do not understand:

chmod 666 inc/config.php inc/settings.php
chmod 777 cache/ cache/themes/ uploads/ uploads/avatars/

and

chmod 666 inc/languages/english/*.php inc/languages/english/admin/*.php
chmod 777 cache/ cache/themes/ uploads/ uploads/avatars/ admin/backups/

what do these mean?

Is is compulsory to change the permissions on files? What files need changing and how can I do it using FTP client Fetch or Transmit?

Thanks,

Matt.
It can vary from setup to setup, but if the server you're hosting on is running something UNIXy (most servers that you'll likely be hosting on will be), then you need to make the files/folders editable by MyBB.

SSH (secure shell) gives you access to a command-line prompt on the server. From here you can execute "chmod" (change permission) commands. However, if you haven't heard of it, you likely do not have SSH access to your server, so you don't have to worry about that part.

I haven't used either of the clients you mention, but try selecting the target files, right-clicking and see if there's some sort of change permission option. You basically need to grant everyone write access to the specified files and folders.
It is known that Filezilla supports this capability, so if you cannot find the option in your FTP client, perhaps try installing Filezilla.

Not changing permissions may cause problems when MyBB tries to write to those files, which you can be sure it'll try to do.