MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Opinions Wanted] Topic:To show newest replies First or Last?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I'm about to attempt to reverse the orders of replies to show newest replies first, on my site,

QUESTION: So my question to you is, do you prefer to read the older replies first or would you rather read the newest replies first, in a thread? And tell me why.

Myself, I'm more used to reading newer replies first and imo, that is what readers want to see, the newest reply first and not the oldest because of the inconvenience of always having to click to the last page might annoy users, this is for userability and ease of use.

Anyhow, I will let you know how it goes!
(2014-10-28, 03:03 AM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]show newest replies first, on my site,

QUESTION: So my question to you is, do you prefer to read the older replies first or would you rather read the newest replies first, in a thread? And tell me why.

Personally, I never join forums where the last reply shows first.

How fast can you say this: zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba ?

How fast can you say this: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ?
(2014-10-28, 08:27 AM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-10-28, 03:03 AM)Michael2014 Wrote: [ -> ]show newest replies first, on my site,

Personally, I never join forums where the last reply shows first.

How fast can you say this: zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba ?

How fast can you say this: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ?

ha ha, the irony is, I tought myself how to speed alphabet backwards!!

Im not joking either! I have a lot of time on my hands and well, one day, I decided to teach myself to say the alphabet backwards.. So sometimes, when I am around friends, I challenge them to say the alphabet backwards, and I always beat them, lightening fast lol

in all regards, I totally get your point.
Hey, thanks for sharing your opinion because it gives me additional insight into the general opinion of what other board operators desire, I appreciate your input!
I thought about this too.  I don't think it makes much sense because posts are meant to be read in order as they are actually a conversation.  If you switch it, for people just starting the topic it would be like coming into a conversation mid stream.  It would lead to a lot of confusion.  It's great for blog posts that don't have anything to do with each other.  Or memes that have no order.  But for a conversation there is order, and loading last first just doesn't make sense.   
I'm thinking last post first --->IF<--- you can read the topic on same site. Nothing worse than read "yes, im thinking that too", and you can't read what he does agree with. It only makes sense when the subject says it all, but you can't expect every user to make such a subject. So if the first post are on the top of it, then last page is fine. Otherwise only the first, so you can see what it is about.
(2014-10-28, 01:27 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]I thought about this too.  I don't think it makes much sense because posts are meant to be read in order as they are actually a conversation.  If you switch it, for people just starting the topic it would be like coming into a conversation mid stream.  It would lead to a lot of confusion.  It's great for blog posts that don't have anything to do with each other.  Or memes that have no order.  But for a conversation there is order, and loading last first just doesn't make sense.   

Hi phoenix, and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter, every little bit helps me out because I'm not neccessarily used to "Forums"per say, and any bit of extra advice or ideas seems to open my eyes more and more, in fact you have made some really great points, I'mgoing to have to think about this some more.

(2014-10-28, 02:54 PM)coxuso Wrote: [ -> ]I'm thinking last post first --->IF<--- you can read the topic on same site. Nothing worse than read "yes, im thinking that too", and you can't read what he does agree with. It only makes sense when the subject says it all, but you can't expect every user to make such a subject. So if the first post are on the top of it, then last page is fine. Otherwise only the first, so you can see what it is about.

Hi coxuso, now that does make a lot of sense, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter, it opensmy eyes even more, because "Forums"are discussions and not neccessarily comments per articles, so indeed, the subject has alot to do with, what I am referring to is, Thread being first post and comments or replies follow th post but then again, these are forums and not blog reviews, I'm going to give this some more thought.