MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrade Question (General)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed tons of people are still using version 1.6 and have not upgraded to 1.8, now I just installed my forum about 2 weeks ago via cpanel and which is version 1.8.0 and even now cpanel only has version 1.8.0 so my question is, why are there still so many people using still using 1.6
and I've put at least 200 hours into developing my site so far and I am not about to upgrade myself and ruin things, so can I just stay at version 1.8 and not worry about the upgrade?

Obviously the people who still use version 1.6 are not worried about upgrading, and I also notced that when plugins are deactived, it removes the customizations, then there might be compatibility issues with the plugins with the new version, so I am just happy with my version 1.8.0, can someone give me some insight here, there is no way I'm going to attempt to upgrade after reading the tons of problems people are having, I guess if worst case scenerio, I will pay someone to upgrade my site but like I said, I'm happy with my version, can I disable the message in the admin panel that says I need to upgrade?
The reasons, what I can figure, why people has not been switched to 1.8 yet are mostly ...
1. Vast availability of themes and plugins for 1.6x series whereas 1.8 is new and the collection requires a bit time to get developed.
2. 1.6x is security and bug fix saturated while 1.8x is still new and having quiet a few issues which are yet to be addressed and more issues are being discovered everyday. It might be problematic to some big boards to go on with those bugs and they are waiting for atleast most of the major bugs get fixed.
3. Simply laziness. Its a huge job to some people to re-setup all the things (customization) from the scratch.

Still, if you have started with 1.8; I think its good to stick with it. There is no point to downgrade.
(2014-10-28, 07:30 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]The reasons, what I can figure, why people has not been switched to 1.8 yet are mostly ...
1. Vast availability of themes and plugins for 1.6x series whereas 1.8 is new and the collection requires a bit time to get developed.
2. 1.6x is security and bug fix saturated while 1.8x is still new and having quiet a few issues which are yet to be addressed and more issues are being discovered everyday. It might be problematic to some big boards to go on with those bugs and they are waiting for atleast most of the major bugs get fixed.
3. Simply laziness. Its a huge job to some people to re-setup all the things (customization) from the scratch.

Still, if you have started with 1.8; I think its good to stick with it. There is no point to downgrade.

Ah, thanks for the bit of clarity there! I see things a bit better now, and that makes a lot of sense, I appreciate your explaination.

My thing is, I don't want to upgrade to version 1.8 to 1.8.1 because of the heavy modification I've made to the templates so far, but then again, I am a newbie and am paranoid that I might mess things up, but then again, I don't need the full upgrade because I'm only raising one point from 8.0 to 8.1, Darn it, I wish I never seen that upgrade message in my admin panel, it is a buzz killer.  Dodgy lol

UPDATE: I just realized that cpanel has an option to clone site, so I'm going to clone my site and practice on the cloned site.
I can always kill off the clones if I have issues, okay let us see what happens now.

Edit:I just cloned my site via cpanel andit is an exact replica, same everything, passwords and all, sweet!
now I can really experiment!

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
Well, you can always track the name of the changed templates outlined in docs site, backup your customized theme, generate a diff report against old and new changed templates, incorporate the changes manually after upgrading ...

http://docs.mybb.com/versions/1.8.1/#template-changes

See if that helps in any way ...
I have also wondered and had thought about making such a topic as this,
Reason "I believe" many haven't upgraded is,  lots ( if not most ) of 1.6 mods don't work on 1.8 , and the MOD creators  seems not  interested in upgrading for 1.8 because of all the talk about 2.0 ,  because mods for 1.8 may not work on 2.0 (?)

If I was JUST STARTING a NEW site/forum, I would use 1.8.x
But if I have a 1.6.x forum already running, I would stick with it until 2.0.x is released.
(2014-10-28, 07:57 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Well, you can always track the name of the changed templates outlined in docs site, backup your customized theme, generate a diff report against old and new changed templates, incorporate the changes manually after upgrading ...

http://docs.mybb.com/versions/1.8.1/#template-changes

See if that helps in any way ...

That is awesome, and so appreciated, thanks for the pointers, and I will apply your suggestions,
thanks for being there for us, here on the boards! You rock bro!

(2014-10-28, 08:03 AM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]I have also wondered and had thought about making such a topic as this,
Reason "I believe" many haven't upgraded is,  lots ( if not most ) of 1.6 mods don't work on 1.8 , and the MOD creators  seems not  interested in upgrading for 1.8 because of all the talk about 2.0 ,  because mods for 1.8 may not work on 2.0 (?)

If I was JUST STARTING a NEW site/forum, I would use 1.8.x
But if I have a 1.6.x forum already running, I would stick with it until 2.0.x is released.

That is good insight, thank you so much for sharing your voice on this thread, I appreciate your feedback as well, it even adds to my confidence knowing that so many people are waiting for 2.0 to upgrade!