MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The nature of social networks vs. forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I do a lot of writing on social media and I can say that I have a good idea about the fundamentals behind social interacting, and I've been pondering the parallels between twitter and forums, and why I think forums are actually much better than twitter, for two reasons mainly, forums provide a real community atmosphere, twitter is all about being the "popular"one, so there is rarely an intimate connection between followers, where as forums create a real family type of bond, that I have seen first hand, here and on other forums, where as twitter is mostly about marketing yourelf, where forums is more about socially interacting with others,and marketing yourself, so in all regards I can say that forums will always have their place on the internet even long after sites like twitter are gone because there will always be a need for discussion and gathering and inteacting and forums are what fit this aspect and not twitter, so in closing, I would never compare twitter to forums because the two are totally different, and I am rambling here because I'm tired but I wanted to get this out and I'm not even sure there is a point to this other than the fact that I think forums are much better, funner and more enjoyable and coming from someone who has 3 twitter accounts with over 130 thousand followers, I can say I kinda know whatI'm talking about,
what do you think about it all?
Based on the definition of social network your using (since I still think the term is used wrong, but everyone disagrees with me), I'd say you hit the nail on the head.

Twitter and facebook tend to be all about the "me." There is not much "you" in it. Posting on forums on the other hand tends to be more about the overall group as a whole. I get the feeling that twitter and facebook might make the next generations more selfish than we already are. Of course, I hope I am not right.

I would say a major reason forums are "dying" over "social networks" is that people are trying more and more to squeeze more things into their day. We are a busy group of people. Facebook takes 5 seconds to update a status. Twitter is about the same. But a forum can require you to dedicate hours a day (and can end up being addictive enough to do so as well). I just installed the status plugin for MyBB on my forum. I have to say it seems more active than posting of threads for sure. People can update their status for the day, but don't really seek out posting because they don't have time.
Well, the society is becoming more and more busy or rather lazy due to computerization and other modern technologies. I'm quite young and despite that I don't like this new world-view (even though I'm affected by it to some extent too). For example, as a football fan, I hate when some famous journalists prefer 'twitting' random stupidities to writing high quality articles. Few years ago publishing these twits in a newspaper would result in a shame, now people are clapping their hands when they see... ummm... simply anything. From cute cat photos to quotes from books they don't even understand.

And that's why social networks are so popular in my opinion, not because of 5 seconds registration forms and similar stuff as many try to imply.
(2014-10-28, 06:04 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]Twitter and facebook tend to be all about the "me." There is not much "you" in it. Posting on forums on the other hand tends to be more about the overall group as a whole. I get the feeling that twitter and facebook might make the next generations more selfish than we already are. Of course, I hope I am not right.
You are NOT wrong.

Almost everything is vanity, conceitedness, attention-seeking individuals on those "social-media" .
"Look, I don't have money to put food in my refrigerator, but hey, I just bought the next-gen iPhone7 for $999, I am so cool, let me go post 300 selfies right now"
Michael2014, thank you for the rhetorical theme -- the kind of theme that makes people think.

Change is a constant.  Your testimonies here give evidence to fundamental cultural change.  The shifts in fashions, trends, and "flavors of the week" are unmistakable . . .

busyness of life over quality time
self-service over public service
impersonal over personal
selfie over servanthood
casual over intimate
self over others
me over you

It is really all about me.

Quote:For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred.