MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Text Box disapears under "Your Message" in New Thread or Reply
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I've just upgraded from 1.6.8 to 1.8.1.  The installation went smoothly with no problems.  I've just logged into post something and had a strange thing happen.  When the Thread page first showed up you can see the text box where you type your message:
[attachment=32880]

But then after a few second the text box disapears and you are left with the help text of the icons:
[attachment=32881]

If you then click on 'View Source' at the bottom you get a very small text box which you can resize:
[attachment=32882]

Once it is resized then you can use it as normal but the icons still have not shown up:
[attachment=32883]

I'm running Firefox 33.0, but have also tried in IE 11 with the same results.
This problem happens with both Reply and New Thread.

I've also tried putting the old 'newreply.php' and 'newthread.php' (from version 1.6.8) into the new installation but I get the same response.  Currently the forum is running 1.8.1 version of both files.  So at this point it looks like some sort of setting problem within the forum??

'Clickable Smilies and BB Code' are all set to default values in the Admin CP.

I disabled my plugins before the upgrade (which was only 'Undo Delete 1.2.1') and it is still disabled.

The URL is forum.shmac.org.au

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated.
This thing normally happens if you do not update your theme for 1.8 because almost all the themes of 1.6 are incompatible with 1.8.
So instead of going into details of this issue I will suggest you to install a compatible theme for 1.8 and this issue will be solved. Basic issue is conflicting / incompatible jQuerry.
If you are using MyAlert plugin , then you will have to disable that as well, because till now 1.8 compatible MyAlert has not been released and this plugin also causes this issue.

I hope this will solve your issue.
at the themes section in admin panel, change editor style and save the theme properties. then check editor buttons

latest version of MyBB (1.8.x) has soft delete feature. there is no need to use earlier version's undo delete plugin

looks like your forum's themes templates require code changes.
upgrading guidance Wrote:Visit your Admin Control Panel, then go to Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates. This will show you a list of all the templates that have changed during the upgrade.

You can either revert these templates to their default - meaning all the changes you've made to it will be removed - or you can see a Diff Report which will show you exactly what's changed. If you have a custom theme installed, it is probably best that you look at the Diff Report and apply the changes you need.

or you can install a good looking theme compatible for MyBB 1.8.x
http://community.mybb.com/mods.php?actio...ory=themes

or you can make a new theme and try using it
(2014-09-06, 11:53 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]ACP -> Templates & Style -> Themes -> Create New Theme -> set Parent Theme to MyBB Master Style and confirm
ACP -> Templates & Style -> Templates -> Add Set with any name and confirm

Then open the theme you created earlier and change the Template Set to the template set you created too.

This will recreate the default theme.
Thanks for the response guys.  Definitely turned out to be the theme.

The problem was fixed with:
Quote:at the themes section in admin panel, change editor style and save the theme properties. then check editor buttons