MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Seeking MP3 player advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

Before I go on a somewhat-long vacation I'd like to get an MP3 player. I can't believe I've still never owned one in my life, everyone I see of all ages has one wherever I go. My main problem is that there are so many different kinds of MP3 players out there, I simply don't know what kind to get. There's the mainstream ones like the iPod and the Zune, and then there's the semi-popular brands like Creative Labs and iRiver.

Without further delay, can you guys personally recommend any good quality MP3 players to me?

Here are some features that are important to me:
  • 30GB storage minimum (preferably 60GB)
  • Video, picture support
  • Some type of wifi/online connectivity if possible
  • Built in radio or FM tuner
  • A/V out (ie. sending media from the MP3 player to a TV)
  • Upgradeable firmware
  • MSRP of $300 USD or less
I don't know if there an MP3 player that has ALL of those functions (except maybe the Zune) but as many of those features as possible would work if all of them weren't available.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you,
AndyM3
i know it doesn't completely fill your spec but i have an ipod and i would highly recommend it.

you can plug it into the tv with a cable priced around £10 and a radio can be fitted priced around £25 so it sn't that bad.

it is just the online but which it is missing. i am sure if you can wait a few months the next ipod will have it to compete with the zune (which i highly recommend you don't get - http://www.webberscorner.com/showthread.php?tid=242). I reckon it will look like the iPhone, without the phone bit.
I support Creative =p

Infact, sometimes I think that all the mp3 players are practically the same, its probably just the brand, functions and appearance/size.

Overall, it still fulfills the purpose of bringing music to your ears.
* 30GB storage minimum (preferably 60GB)
* Video, picture support
* Some type of wifi/online connectivity if possible
* Built in radio or FM tuner
* A/V out (ie. sending media from the MP3 player to a TV)
* Upgradeable firmware
* MSRP of $300 USD or less

I'm pretty sure that the Zune fills that. It has a 30GB HD, a large screen for pics, videos, and music, wifi (the only one that has that, I belive) A/V out, and costs $249USD.

A second would be the creative Zen Vision:M, http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenvisionm/
I really do not recommend getting a Zune. For one reason I'm not impressed with its features, and the other reason is it looks as anesthetically pleasing as a piece of brick.

On the other hand, I say you ought to go for Creative. Judging by your specified requirements I can say that I second the Zen Vision:M. I like Creative's products very much, and I got my first mp3 player just roughly a week ago, a 2GB Zen V Plus. :p
I recommend getting an iPod.
The sony MP3 players could be good

http://www.sony.com
what is your battery life and dimension requirements? or doesnt it matter how big and how heavy it is?
bnza8 Wrote:what is your battery life and dimension requirements? or doesnt it matter how big and how heavy it is?
Battery life doesn't matter much, because it's something I'd probably use in the car or house most often and I could hook it up to an AC or DC power source if necessary.

Dimensions, doesn't matter. As long as it fits in deep pockets.

So far I've considered the Sony PSP, Archos 604 Wifi, and Cowon Q5.
All of them seem to be good options with wifi + browser. The Q5 isn't out yet though, and the 604 doesn't have many hacks/mods for it. So far I'm leaning towards the PSP the most even though it's really meant for gaming and not necessarily a media player.

@Cool Guy: yeah, the Zune would fit everything I need, except that there's no browser on it. I want something I can do simple things online with using wifi (check email and read news.) Unless the Zune goes into a second stage or a big firmware development, I doubt we'll see it with a browser.
If you want online stuff, why not get a PDA?
Pages: 1 2