MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugin Uploader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like a simple way to be able to upload plugins in the ACP like there was in 1.6 with the plugin called 'Plugin Uploader'.
but it's literally as easy as unzip, upload relevant stuff via ftp, install/activate.
(2014-11-05, 01:17 AM)p00lz Wrote: [ -> ]but it's literally as easy as unzip, upload relevant stuff via ftp, install/activate.

If it was good enough for 1.6 to have a plugin for this it's good enough for 1.8
A lot of people have reported that the 1.6 plugin has harmed their forums. There isn't really a set standard for how plugins are packaged, so developing an uploader that would work with all plugins would be a pain. For example, some plugin authors use an "Upload" or "root" folder, whereas others throw the files straight into the plugin root or even have the plugin PHP file itself as at the root level of the zip. Not only that, but some plugins require additional file changes or special modifications, and some administrators may have renamed admin directories, etc...

I have a feeling that if such a plugin was developed, people would not understand why such a plugin would not work properly 100% of the time and would complain about it being "unreliable." It's not really a feature that MyBB makes especially easy to implement by default for a number of reasons, particularly because of the lack of unified standards that plugin authors use to package their plugins.
Thank you for that detailed answer. Makes sense as to why there isn't one Smile
im not sure what the 1.6 plugin did, but if one for 1.8 catalogued the files uploaded and uninstalling a plugin through the "plugin uploader" plugin deleted the clutter/files of an installed plugin, then i'd see the benefit. I hate manually removing plugins file by file.