MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Before I install...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
myBB looks like a good software, but I've got a few issues I want to clear up before I actually install. Any help is appreciated.

1) Let's pretend that I know nothing about internet software and website hosting. If I make a site with myBB, will I be hosting it myself, or will myBB itself have the site up in a manner similar to Proboards? My internet at home is incredibly slow, and I was constantly losing connection on my old Proboards site, so this may be a big problem. I've looked into a hosting site like Icyboards, but their plugin use is so restrictive I don't know if it will work for my project site.

2) Plugins. Are most of them free? What's the average cost of the ones that do cost money?
1) I don't know, it's up to you. All free forum hosts that use established software will restrict plugins. I can tell you as the owner of a chat room host that these services do not work by having a set of files for each instance. Every forum uses a single set of shared files, so it's simply not possible for forums to have independent plugins for security and stability reasons. If you need more freedom with your forum, you'll have to host it yourself. It's up to you which approach works best for you.

2) The plugins database has free plugins available for download. Some authors have their own premium plugins, but these are not sold here and are sold at separate websites. The pricing and policies depend on the plugin's author.
1) I remember seeing you on Icyboards, so if I rubbed you the wrong way there, I'm sorry. To be more specific on my question, I meant: Does downloading myBB involve creating a url/staff account, boop, site's up, like on Proboards or Icyboards, or will I need to find somewhere to host the site or somehow host it on my own computer?

2) Thank you, I'll keep that link if I do install.
^ if you are comfortable in spending money for the forum then its better to find a good web host to run the forum
Alright, thanks.
(2014-11-10, 05:43 PM)FennecFyre Wrote: [ -> ]1) I remember seeing you on Icyboards, so if I rubbed you the wrong way there, I'm sorry. To be more specific on my question, I meant: Does downloading myBB involve creating a url/staff account, boop, site's up, like on Proboards or Icyboards, or will I need to find somewhere to host the site or somehow host it on my own computer?

Haha no, you're fine. Have you looked into t1hosting.com? They are pretty cheap for what they offer. Smile