MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User tagging BB code
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It would be awesome if you guys added a bb code that you would be able to link a user simply with their uid like this.
[user]uid=84814[/user]
Then it would show up with the style of that users group and would automatically update usernames in the thread or post if the user changes their username.

Hope i explained this well enough. 
It'd be server intensive on large forums to keep it updating the username. Calculating it at the time of the post is the only thing that would be feasible.
(2014-11-13, 07:13 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]It'd be server intensive on large forums to keep it updating the username.  Calculating it at the time of the post is the only thing that would be feasible.

Isn't that what caching is for?

XF does something like this using the @ (at) tag. For example, @dragonexpert would provide a link to your user profile.
(2014-12-07, 08:56 PM)RAND0M1ZER Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-13, 07:13 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]It'd be server intensive on large forums to keep it updating the username.  Calculating it at the time of the post is the only thing that would be feasible.

Isn't that what caching is for?

XF does something like this using the @ (at) tag. For example, @dragonexpert would provide a link to your user profile.

Exactly. When making or editing a post, XF converts all @ tags to [user=X]...[/user] where X is the user ID. That's the only feasible way to do it in my eyes.

I too like the ability to tag users as a way of notifying them of a thread. I use it on almost all the sites I'm on, including Github.
This is a feature that many forum software are starting to include.