MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tutorial
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm basically ignorant when it comes to modifying MyBB.  Are there any tutorials that describe the basic parts of the forum?  For instance, when I'm looking for the location in the Global.css to edit something as simple as a color.  I have to guess most of the time on where to start.  I know header and footer, but all the parts in between, like postbit, panel, container, etc make me scratch my head.  I can hammer out Fortran, Cobol, APL, and C++, but for some reason, I can't seem to connect the dots here.
MyBB templates use HTML and style CSS. All templates are at Admin CP -> Themes & Templates

You can easily find everything, everything is named so you can find..

What exactly you search for / want?
all modern browsers have inspecting tool (eg. firefox & chrome => press CTRL + Shift + I)
that can help in inspecting elements, their html code & css style .. etc

though this css guidance is for an earlier version, it might help in understanding basic structure of MyBB forum
(2014-11-18, 04:39 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]all modern browsers have inspecting tool (eg. firefox & chrome => press CTRL + Shift + I)
that can help in inspecting elements, their html code & css style .. etc

though this css guidance is for an earlier version, it might help in understanding basic structure of MyBB forum

Or ctrl + shift +c at Firefox and Opera... Smile
(2014-11-18, 04:13 PM)Zyon Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB templates use HTML and style CSS. All templates are at Admin CP -> Themes & Templates

You can easily find everything, everything is named so you can find..

What exactly you search for / want?

I can use IE browser and look at View -> Source to see all the coding, what I have trouble with are the definition of parts of the forum site.  For instance, when I look at:  <div id="panel">

what part of the forum am I looking at?  What part is the panel?  Some of the terms I can figure out but others I struggle with.
Don't use IE. I'm not seen any developer or coder using that.

IE is only for download of better borowser.

Use Firefox or Chrome or Opera, they are good.

On them ( I think Firefox is easiest ), you just use ctrl + shift + I and very easy, just go mouseover and click at place you want to see whole code at bottom... See Attachment.
(2014-11-18, 06:54 PM)Zyon Wrote: [ -> ]Don't use IE. I'm not seen any developer or coder using that.

IE is only for download of better borowser.

Use Firefox or Chrome or Opera, they are good.

On them ( I think Firefox is easiest ), you just use ctrl + shift + I and very easy, just go mouseover and click at place you want to see whole code at bottom... See Attachment.

I use IE because my employer uses it.  The military also uses it and until recently, I was involved with that as well.  I also use FF and sometimes use Chrome. Although each has it's own issues.  I can see the whole code with IE just as easy as FF.   My programming experience is with mainframes so desktop browsers never entered into the picture until I was asked to take over management of a website and a forum for a not for profit group.  I have taught myself HTML and was using Frontpage until I recently switched to another web authoring software.  I also switched the organizations BB to MyBB from the previous one they were using.

The issue is, I am a newbie with this software and with BBs in general so do not know the terminology used for different parts of the forum.