MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Let's Encrypt - Free, automated, and open SSL Certs in 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
[Image: letsencrypt-logo-horizontal.svg]
Backed by Mozilla, Akamai, the EFF, among others, free SSL/TLS certs will be available to site/server owners in Summer 2015.

http://letsencrypt.org

I'm really excited for this, since I'll be able to secure little project sites without shelling out a ton of money, with just a few commands on a server.
Wow! That's awesome! I can't wait!
Nice. Toungue
Great news for everyone at last!
Look good.
Great news and its free to use what more can you ask for?
(2014-11-18, 11:43 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ][Image: letsencrypt-logo-horizontal.svg]
Backed by Mozilla, Akamai, the EFF, among others, free SSL/TLS certs will be available to site/server owners in Summer 2015.

http://letsencrypt.org

I'm really excited for this, since I'll be able to secure little project sites without shelling out a ton of money, with just a few commands on a server.

same...

I'll probably throw it on my mybb sites as well.
Finally, something! Smile
Okay, explain this to me. The idea of certs is so that basically someone can vouch that you are who you are right? I remember a while back there was an article in Linux Pro Magazine that wrote about a group that was able to get a cert from places like RapidSSL and register it under mozilla's name.

How is this going to be able to withstand misuse? Will this make competitors offer a free version that may be less in depth?

Kinda scary imo.
You're thinking moreso of Extended Validation (EV) SSL certificates. Standard certificates just allow for encrypted communication between a server and client - nothing more.

You're thinking of the Comodo/DigiCert thing a couple years ago. I believe the industry has done some important things to avoid that happening again though.

Let's Encrypt will not offer EV-SSL as far as we know.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5