MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Do I have to upload each file seperately for upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If your overwriting files with filezilla you generally get a prompt to confirm your overwriting existing files. The only time you may see problems with overwriting files is if you ever manually edit any for the sake of a plugin for instance and you would need to reapply the edit for the plugin to work.
I've been using Cyberduck, and it, too, prompts before overwriting files. Good point!

I was afraid the updated folders (with one or two files) might want to replace the existing folders (with many files). But you are right, it would warn before doing it.

Thank you for pointing that out!  Big Grin
(2014-11-22, 05:52 AM)Alia Wrote: [ -> ]I've been using Cyberduck, and it, too, prompts before overwriting files. Good point!

I was afraid the updated folders (with one or two files) might want to replace the existing folders (with many files). But you are right, it would warn before doing it.

Thank you for pointing that out!  Big Grin

i too was hesitant at first, but for instance if you overwrite an upload or avatar folder the folder is overwritten but the contents would stay in there. A prime example is the avatar folder, when you upgrade software the folder is overwritten by you members avatars remain in there.
Thank you, Parricull.

That makes everything a LOT less work!
Smile
I don't understand why the "icon" folder has to be uploaded.

The files for upgrading 1.6.2 to 1.6.16 are extensive and include the icon files.
Why overwrite existing icons?  It seems like a lot of wasted bandwidth and time.
(2014-12-16, 12:01 AM)CloudyBright Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand why the "icon" folder has to be uploaded.

The files for upgrading 1.6.2 to 1.6.16 are extensive and include the icon files.
Why overwrite existing icons?  It seems like a lot of wasted bandwidth and time.

The changed file package is only for upgrading to the next minor version. For example, upgrading from 1.6.15 to 1.6.16. To upgrade from an older version you need to perform a upgrade using the full package. It can be avoided by upgrading each time a new minor release is available -- which you should have been doing anyway. MyBB 1.6.2 was released in early 2011 and many vulnerabilities have been fixed since then. Your forum and your users' data has been vulnerable for a long time.
Pages: 1 2