MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: newbie here (before downloading and installing help)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings,

I am a new member of the MyBB community, and am looking to install your software onto my website, www.hookedonroleplaying.com. I have a few questions that I would like answered before I make my final decision about installing your software:

1) As mentioned, I have a pre-existing forum service already that I wish to remove from my page. However, I DON’T want to lose any of the posts that my members have worked so hard on. Will I be able to keep the posts even after installing your software or will it wipe out my posts completely? Will I need to do an import/export of them? (I’m backing them up in case anyway, but I wanted to know.)

2) Are the plugins/themes from the 1.6 and 1.8 releases compatible with each other? For example, are 1.6/1.616 plugins/themes compatible with 1.8 and the new 1.8 release??

3) Is there someone out there who would be willing to help me install MyBB onto my site when I am ready? I know essentially nothing about forum software and would just like a guiding hand please. I am willing to give whomever is kind enough to help me credit on my new forum.

4) This is a plugin question: Is there a plugin that will allow users to write posts under more than one pen name from the same account? Kind of like Wormopolis's Alters plugin on proboards which can be found here. If not, could someone please make me a plugin like that? I'd be happy to discuss the features I want in more depth as well as donate to the making of the plugin.

Thank you for your help! I can't wait to get started!

~Beth
ProBoards doesn't easily provide your database
and there is no easy method to convert it into MyBB / other system.

if interested, and if ProBoards allow,
you can keep your forum as an archive in read only mode and use MyBB system.

some of the plugins coded for earlier versions of MyBB depend on prototype script.
such plugins cannot be used easily on MyBB 1.8

there is a paid plugin to change author of post.
a couple of free account switching plugins exist for MyBB 1.6
I or anyone here could probably help you with installation. But I would find someone you feel comfortable and trust. But if you need help with anything, my inbox is open. I'm new to MyBB , but I know most basics of websites and I could help you with Mybb. I've asked enough questions, i've started to learn on my own. As you will eventually as well.

But, as I said. If you need help, i'm here to help with what I can!
(2014-11-26, 03:05 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]ProBoards doesn't easily provide your database
and there is no easy method to convert it into MyBB / other system.

if interested, and if ProBoards allow,
you can keep your forum as an archive in read only mode and use MyBB system.

some of the plugins coded for earlier versions of MyBB depend on prototype script.
such plugins cannot be used easily on MyBB 1.8

there is a paid plugin to change author of post.
a couple of free account switching plugins exist for MyBB 1.6

Could you please tell me the name of the paid plugin? I have 15 roleplay characters that I have to keep track of, and it would be amazing to be able to do it from one account instead of making a million different profiles, therefore, taking up space.

Thanks so much for the help! Big Grin
^ not sure if these serve your requirement => Enhanced Account Switcher & Change Author on Edit
(2014-11-29, 05:17 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^  not sure if these serve your requirement => Enhanced Account Switcher & Change Author on Edit

These look like they will be perfect Smile. Thank you Smile i can't wait for my domain's transfer to complete. I found so many amazing plugins tonight that I can't wait to try out.