MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.6.15 upgrade to 1.8.3 run_hooks() error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys and girls...

My forum: http://prospectnsw.com/index.php

Short version:
After an upgrade of a fresh install I got this message:
"Fatal error: Call to a member function run_hooks() on a non-object in /home3/lyons75/public_html/prospectnsw.com/inc/class_parser.php on line 116".

Long version:
- I installed a fresh copy of MyBB 1.8.3 (I changed the CHMOD numbers).
- I put the details of my MSQL database (the database is from 1.6.15).
- After the install I don't get any of my forums, posts, or users, so I remove the lock file, and go back to prospectnsw.com/install/ and "Upgrade my existing copy of MyBB to 1.8.3". I select the "1.6.15" option and go through all the options and get to the "Upgrade Complete" page but on that page is a message:  
"Fatal error: Call to a member function run_hooks() on a non-object in /home3/lyons75/public_html/prospectnsw.com/inc/class_parser.php on line 116".

If I go to the site root (http://prospectnsw.com) it automatically takes me to:
 http://prospectnsw.com/install/index.php
 ... and says:
 "Error - The installer is currently locked, please remove 'lock' from the install directory to continue"
 ... and if I remove the lock file I get the page:
"MyBB is already installed" "Upgrade my existing copy of MyBB to 1.8.3"
... which I have already done (if I go through it again I get the same outcome).

I tried going into phpMyAdmin and dropping the 2 plugins that might have been causing the problem: mybb_board_messages and mybb_google_seo but it didn't do anything so I dropped all tables and imported it back to how it was.

Can anyone help with the "Fatal error: Call to a member function run_hooks() on a non-object in /home3/lyons75/public_html/prospectnsw.com/inc/class_parser.php on line 116" error?

I looked up line 116 in class_parser.php and it says : "$message = $plugins->run_hooks("parse_message_start", $message);"

The plugins used were Akismet,  Board Messages, Fassim Anti Spam, Google SEO, Hello PluginLibrary, Registration Security Question, Stop Forum Spam, and Thumb Post Rating.

In summary I get the "Upgrade Complete" with an error message but my forum and ACP looks like a fresh install (no forum, posts or users).

Should I reinstall 1.6.15 remove all the plugins, save the database, and try the 1.6.15 to 1.8.3 upgrade again?
I understand that your forum database belongs to MyBB 1.6.15 and it needs to be upgraded for using with MyBB 1.8.x
You're supposed to remove all plugins before you attempt the upgrade. Some plugins won't interfere with the upgrade, but leaving them installed isn't really supported, so the only way to guarantee that you won't have issues is going to be to remove the plugins first.
.M., that is correct. I backed up in 1.6.15, deleted 1.6.15 of the server, installed a fresh copy of 1.8.3, went to /install/ and it said "Upgrade Complete" but came with an error message.

No forum, posts, or users are seen in the forum or ACP.

Okay, thanks Darth, I didn't realise that. I will reinstall 1.6.15 (I have the mybb file) with my 1.6.15 database, disable all the plugins, save the database, then try the 1.6.15 to 1.8.3 upgrade again.
Darth Apple; some plugins cannot be uninstalled without losing all data. It is ok to only deactivate plugins for upgrade to 1.8.
(2014-11-26, 07:18 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Darth Apple; some plugins cannot be uninstalled without losing all data. It is ok to only deactivate plugins for upgrade to 1.8.

Oh yeah, that's right. Forgive me, it's 2AM and it's been a long day as usual. Toungue
Thanks for your help so far...

I reinstalled MyBB 1.6.15 with my 1.6.15 database and did a new backup with no plugins (other than Akismet and Hello World) then I looked in phpMyAdmin with the new database and there are rows for old plugins (Google SEO, Board Messages, etc.) still there so I'm guessing if I do a fresh install of 1.8.3 and upgrade I will have the same problem.

How do I remove plugins from my database so I can fix the run_hooks error? Is that even what I have to do?

Can I just backup the data (posts, threads, and users) and not worry about the theme and plugins?

Edit: I did a backup of just the data and got a SQL error:
SQL Error:
1146 - Table 'lyons75_mybb2.mybb_datacache' doesn't exist
Query:
SELECT title,cache FROM mybb_datacache
it looks like your forum is a fresh one with some spammers registered !!

you may like to install a new forum with MyBB 1.8.3 or you can upgrade
if you want to upgrade then it should work fine even with earlier plugins fields in the database.

see upgrade instructions
(2014-11-26, 08:24 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]it looks like your forum is a fresh one with some spammers registered !!

you may like to install a new forum with MyBB 1.8.3 or you can upgrade
if you want to upgrade then it should work fine even with earlier plugins fields in the database.

see upgrade instructions

I think there is a catching problem with HostGator?

I already had 1.8.3 installed and got the run_hooks() PHP error when trying to upgrade.

I am giving up for the night, I contacted HostGator to see if they can help.
^ oh! some of HostGator servers are reported to have some technical issues (you can check in their peer support forums)
Pages: 1 2