MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: $200 for a MyBB Plugin & Video Tutorial Showing How It Was Made From Beginning To End
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Exactly what the title says. Why am I doing this? I am learning PHP (and want to learn more), but still can't wrap my head around all of the MyBB $variables and functions (it would take me months to find out what every MyBB functions does, and what every variable means).

I will pay $200 if you can:

1. Create a Plugin for me.
2. Make a Video Tutorial of you making the Plugin and verbally speaking as you make it, from start to finish, saying what everything does, all code, variables, functions, what they all do. If it will take longer than expected, I can pay you even more.

Your English needs to be understandable. If you have a strange accent, that's fine, as long as I understand.

Don't commit to doing this, if you can't do it. I've had people do this in the past. Payment is $200 via PayPal, after I can see the plugin on a demo server to test it.

PM me for more info.
IMHO, I don't think a paid video tutorial is really needed !
(2014-11-27, 12:36 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]IMHO, I don't think a paid video tutorial is really needed !

Why not? There's no harm in learning if I'm willing to pay for it. Learning is best taught by example.

The MyBB Team could make some good money if they had a Paid Support option.
yes, absolutely no harm in teaching and learning.

as MyBB uses php & SQL , to make the plugins basically one should have knowledge in php & database methods

we have MyBB plugins guidance in written format. php & sql tutorials available online in both written format & videos

if you know php & database methods then there is no need for paid video guidance related to MyBB plugins making
(2014-11-29, 11:49 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]yes, absolutely no harm in teaching and learning.

as MyBB uses php & SQL , to make the plugins basically one should have knowledge in php & database methods

we have MyBB plugins guidance in written format. php & sql tutorials available online in both written format & videos

if you know php & database methods then there is no need for paid video guidance related to MyBB plugins making

I am still learning PHP & MySQL.

But there are just too many MyBB functions and variables out there, and I have no idea what they do. So how can I include those functions and variables in my code, if I had no idea what they do?

I need to open up the source files and trace them back to the original function declaration, and that takes a very long time, considering I haven't been with MyBB since the very beginning. Only once I know what each function does, then can I develop my own plugins.

I know a lot of the PHP syntax, all of the loops, switch statements, arrays, assignment operators, comparison operators, OOP, etc. But it's all useless when I come over to MyBB, because the functions and variables are all over the place, without proper documentation on what each of them does.

It's like trying to learn PHP without knowing any of the functions, without any documentation. Impossible to learn.
Quote:Only once I know what each function does, then can I develop my own plugins.

Good luck.

I was a core developer for years and I don't think even at my most active I knew off by heart what half the functions did or even what they were called. For developing plugins you only need to know what you need for that plugin.

Take a look at how other plugins are designed, and get a feel for the plugin system. It sounds like you're trying to read the whole dictionary before writing a sentence.
(2014-11-29, 12:10 PM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]I need to open up the source files and trace them back to the original function declaration

But that's essentially how it works. (And if you spend ages trying to find where something may be defined, you're not using the right tools. You just have to search "function thename(" over all of MyBB's files and there you have it, doesn't take a second).

Whenever you develop a plugin, you have to read the MyBB code surrounding the place where you want your plugin to hook into MyBB. Usually you also have to add debug messages to confirm what you believed you read in the code...

Take hooks for example, there is no way to list them all and detail how exactly they are called and used on a given page; so instead you just add a debug message to the hook system itself so you can see directly what is happening under the hood. The same goes with variables, the only way to tell which ones might be available in a given hook on a given page, is to debug-print the hooks' $args, as well as $GLOBALS from inside the hook and then see what you can use and how.
I'm still looking for someone to do this, if anyone is interested.
(2014-12-24, 09:54 PM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]I'm still looking for someone to do this, if anyone is interested.

I will do this for bitcoin if you insist on paying
(2014-12-25, 12:07 AM)ectomatt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-12-24, 09:54 PM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]I'm still looking for someone to do this, if anyone is interested.

I will do this for bitcoin if you insist on paying

BitCoin is fine. Learning is best taught by example. eg. Tutorials

Closed.