MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Idea desired for 1.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm familiar with 10-15 software packages from Prestashop to MyBB to Vbulletin.

Idea: The software has to have a "phrase" search. Without it thousands of hours are lost by users of different cultures to find the right area that the MyBB staff thinks is the most logic area for verbiage. Vbulletin has never dropped this feature once since inception and I use it on a private piece of software constantly.

Example:

If I want to change "Hello World" I currently need to search for the wording. Or I index my files on my local machine and search for them with my OS.

A phrase search bar grabs the words in 2 seconds maximum. Done.

When using the Search/Replace it doesn't find this for example:

These forums are currently closed for maintenance. Please check back later.

Do I just search all the possible areas I think MyBB might have put it?

Any help is appreciated.
yes, that would be useful.
as you know, we have such search facility for the templates as they are stored in the database.

however we do not have facility to search phrases from MyBB system files (including language files) & plugins.
Appreciate the response.

If each user saved 10 hours for finding phrases and then more time later in life as their forum changes, they could really boost their site's value by focusing on other things.

Basically thousands of hours would go into site value and thus MyBB donation value would increase as sites can give back quicker.

(To be honest, Word, Excel, Browsers, Notepad, Phorum, Vbulltein, etc, etc, etc have it. It's a necessary feature as a computer should do the work. MyBB feels like 2002 software. Just being honest.)
(2014-11-27, 06:16 PM)ringring Wrote: [ -> ]If each user saved 10 hours for finding phrases and then more time later in life as their forum changes, they could really boost their site's value by focusing on other things.

Basically thousands of hours would go into site value

I don't know what takes you 10 hours, but finding anything in the core files can be done in 2 minutes. Just basic system knowledge is required - you only need to use grep on Linux/OS X or application like this on Windows: http://www.wingrep.com/ And that's all.

(2014-11-27, 06:16 PM)ringring Wrote: [ -> ]and thus MyBB donation value would increase as sites can give back quicker.

We don't even accept donations at the moment..

(2014-11-27, 06:16 PM)ringring Wrote: [ -> ](To be honest, Word, Excel, Browsers, Notepad, Phorum, Vbulltein, etc, etc, etc have it. It's a necessary feature as a computer should do the work. MyBB feels like 2002 software. Just being honest.)

Excel? Notepad? What are you trying to compare? Obviously it's much easier to implement a search that finds a text in a single opened document than something that would crawl through many many files and database.
(2014-11-27, 06:56 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]We don't even accept donations at the moment..

A bit off topic, but why? Was going to donate this week so just wondering.

Also wingrep is a bit Dodgy
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/grep.htm

fgrep (plus parallel) is the true love for speed via one command out setting big systems up.
(2014-11-27, 07:26 PM)Rakes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-27, 06:56 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]We don't even accept donations at the moment..

A bit off topic, but why? Was going to donate this week so just wondering.

After Paypal got blocked noone opened a new donation wallet. There are plans for this every now and then but they alays end with nothing for some reason. 
@destroy666

Thanks for the reply. Would accepting donations to have a developer put a phrase search box in be "ok"?

I wish I didn't need to download more software to find phrases in the 1st software.

Thanks!