MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I wanna love MyBB but can't. IPB to MyBB migration issues.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First let me say; "Hat's off to the developers of MyBB!!!" In my experience this has got to be one of the slickest discussion forum software alive. I've been moderating forums since 1988 pre-WWW. I've been through most of them, USENET, eGroups(Now Yahoo Groups), vBulletin, Invision ... well, you get the idea, this ain't my first rodeo.  Toungue  

Also, it is not my intent to slight or insult the development team, so if my comments come across in any other way, that is not what I want to convey. Please assume that this is intended to offer my unsuccessful  experience with converting IPB 3.4.7 to MyBB.

In 2006, the private community I administer, decided to migrate to Invision Power Boards. At the time IPB 2.x was very slick. In fact, MyBB reminds me a lot of IPB 2.x in terms that it appears to be developed by Admins for Admins.

In 2009 IPS force-fed an upgrade to our community that we neither wanted nor liked. But we were forced to accept it. This past month, IPS has made changes to our service which have rendered it unacceptable to my community. It's apparent that their notion of customer service follows in the footsteps of companies such as Apple and Microsoft who bully their customers. In other words, "You'll do it our way or the high way". So we are forced to make a change we would rather not.

We've never looked for a handout. I wish there was a paid version of MyBB or at least some service that we could pay for to convert our IPB board flawlessly. After all, we have paid Invision $20/mo plus $50/year for hosting for the last 8 years. It has never been about the money.

This week I experimented with migrating our IPB forum to MyBB. The results were disastrous. Don't get me wrong, the migration utility is as slick as the board itself but it only gets us to 80% and that just won't cut it for my community. Here are the things that break and break really, really bad:

1. Previously quoted text from a prior posts don't convert. It's like the conversion utility only goes one layer and then gives up. The Raw HTML is visible in the post but is not converted.
  2. Links back to posts on our board are not even attempted to convert. That would be OK because we could probably do a global search and replace but unfortunately, the thread reference number does not convert either.
  3. Hyperlinks are randomly converted. We may intense use of Imagebam, imgbox and other image hosting site to host images. Some links work, most do not and for the life of me, I cannot detect a pattern, it appears random.
  4. UTF8 conversion is flawed. We get extra line feeds and this annoying random character(click on thumbnail below for a screengrab example.

[Image: 4a8dc2367930722.jpg]

There is a whole host of other items that also do not convert. As an example, User Groups convert but not their permission. WTF??? Customer fields that we depend on in profiles also are ignored despite the fact that this feature is also supported on MyBB.

Like I said we aren't looking for a freebie. If anyone knows of a paid board that will convert IPB flawlessly, we'd like to know what that is. We are considering Xenforo but they have a very short track record without a legacy of success in IPB conversion.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
You could maybe try these guys: http://gconverters.com/start/

I have not used them and so I cannot comment on their service.
As one of the few Merge Developers:

(2014-11-30, 08:40 PM)cposharkey Wrote: [ -> ]1. previously quoted text from a prior posts don't convert. It's like the conversion utility only goes one layer and then gives up. The Raw HTML is visible in the post but is not converted.
This is an issue with nested BBCodes - however my target for the last version was to fix at least the plain BBCodes (which should be converted). However I'm aware of it and it's on my todo for the next version.

(2014-11-30, 08:40 PM)cposharkey Wrote: [ -> ]2. Links back to posts on our board are not even attempted to convert. That would be OK because we could probably do a global search and replace but unfortunately, the thread reference number does not convert either.
The reason for this is pretty easy: We simply don't know your old domain. We can't use the domain MyBB is running on as it may be another one. And for the same reason old id's aren't changed. It was already prettty difficult to change the attachment codes to use the new ID's (in the development version).

(2014-11-30, 08:40 PM)cposharkey Wrote: [ -> ]3. Hyperlinks are randomly converted. We may intense use of Imagebam, imgbox and other image hosting site to host images. Some links work, most do not and for the life of me, I cannot detect a pattern, it appears random.
That's new to me. All links I've tried to convert worked. Can you look at the regex used to convert the URLs and the URLs that failed?

(2014-11-30, 08:40 PM)cposharkey Wrote: [ -> ]4. UTF8 conversion is flawed. We get extra line feeds and this annoying random character(click on thumbnail below for a screengrab example.
Was your old database encoded in latin1? That's the only known issue for those random character (which is simply a wrong encoded one).

(2014-11-30, 08:40 PM)cposharkey Wrote: [ -> ]As an example, User Groups convert but not their permission. WTF???
You mean their forum permissions? That's a known issue. At least the IPB 3 one is already fixed in the development version.

(2014-11-30, 08:40 PM)cposharkey Wrote: [ -> ]Customer fields that we depend on in profiles also are ignored despite the fact that this feature is also supported on MyBB.
I'm busy atm with fixing old things, so I simply don't have the time for writing a new module. There're some other things that are more important.
(2014-12-01, 02:19 PM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-30, 08:40 PM)cposharkey Wrote: [ -> ]4. UTF8 conversion is flawed. We get extra line feeds and this annoying random character(click on thumbnail below for a screengrab example.
Was your old database encoded in latin1? That's the only known issue for those random character (which is simply a wrong encoded one).
Hey, i run in this problem, how to.... change the encoding FROM the merge system ? :x (i can't change my root database )
You mean the one of the mybb database? That's the one set on the mybb installation. The one of your original database can be set on the database configuration page.
(2014-12-24, 07:34 PM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]You mean the one of the mybb database? That's the one set on the mybb installation. The one of your original database can be set on the database configuration page.

Thank for this speed reply ! Wich encoding i should pick ? I don't see latin... :x
Also, that is not possible to convert the database to UFT8 ?
Happy christmas ! Smile
A little up...? :x
Please create your own thread . Closing this one.