MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What's The Best Way To Move a Board To a New Domain?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, what is the best way that I can move a MyBB board from one domain to another?

I've tried to do this on my own, but I've messed up every time.

And to be clear, I want to pick up and move the board from www.domain1.com and move it to www.domain2.com
move both the files backup & database backup
~/inc/config.php file consists of database details
~/inc/settings.php file has board url & cookie settings
editing config.php & settings.php files to reflect correct settings of new domain should make you
log into admin panel. then again put the correct settings of board url & cookies in admin panel - that's it.
So I basically just copy and paste the files and database from the first site and then edit the config and settings files to reflect the new website and database?
^ yes.
If you're on the same host/or even move to a new host, you can try.

1. Dump your entire SQL database for MyBB.
2. Make a new installation (Oh and connect to a new domain first, so that you can use and test the site)
3. Go to old directory of your MyBB installation (if you entire site is based on MyBB, it's usually in the root dir otherwise find your dir) and download entire file (if you're not moving host, suggest read step 5)
4. Open Phpmyadmin and restore your SQL from previous MyBB installation
5. Copy or move the content from the old MyBB installation to your new folder and replace everything (please don't copy database config file, that will cause it to read old database)
6. just deactivate nameserver on your old domain and make redirect to your new domain.

Yes even if OP have solved the problem, is nice to have a detailed guide on this. I wrote it encase anyone that has the problem and wanted to try my approach.

- Hope that helps...
^ Thanks Smile however installing a fresh copy of the forum (step #2) is not necessary (it consumes a good amount of time)
if required, a simple index.php file can be added to test the working of domain & php execution !
(2014-12-02, 12:26 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ Thanks Smile however installing a fresh copy of the forum (step #2) is not necessary (it consumes a good amount of time)
if required, a simple index.php file can be added to test the working of domain & php execution !

Yes that works too.