MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Merging From phpBB3.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Folks

I am the admin for a small club website and forum. I think I made the ultimate mistake of switching to v3.1 of phpBB and am now looking at alternatives. I will also be looking to see if MyBB will integrate groups/permissions to WordPress for conditional content display and possibly admin logins for WP.

I have the latest MyBB installed and running (in its own folder and DB) and want to import the phpBB forum.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Will "merge" leave my existing (live) phpBB database intact and unmodified?
2. I downloaded the dev version of Merge that was linked in another thread in here. Has this been tested or is there a later version?

I am happy to test if required, just want confirmation from question one first please. Smile

Thanks!

Collin
First of all: phpBB 3.1 isn't supported. There're some database changes which broke the merge system. Though I've fixed already some, there may be still some other issues.

(2014-12-02, 04:02 PM)collinfrench Wrote: [ -> ]1. Will "merge" leave my existing (live) phpBB database intact and unmodified?
Yes. The merge system will only select the data from the old database but nothing will be changed.

(2014-12-02, 04:02 PM)collinfrench Wrote: [ -> ]2. I downloaded the dev version of Merge that was linked in another thread in here. Has this been tested or is there a later version?
Usually I only push changes after I've tested them. However sometimes I push also changes which aren't finished at that time (eg to work in uni on it again). ATM it should work.
Hi

Thanks for the quick response.  I can see *why* 3.1 isn't supported!

I will have a play and see what happens and report back.  My forum is basically vanilla at the moment so should be interesting...
Feel free to report those issues here. Also please use the latest version there for testing (to avoid multiple reports). However I'm already pretty sure that I won't have the time to fix any issues this year, pretty busy atm.
No problem at all. I am only "playing" and testing at the moment so if it takes a while then it's all good. I know what you mean about having time! Only reason I can do this now is I am off work sick!

Coll

Pleased to report that everything worked a treat. Smile

It's a little different to phpBB but a quick play suggests it's much easier to use.

Thanks for your time. Smile