MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.8.3 introduced error 'Illegal string offset' to tickbox custom profile feild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, since upgrading from 1.64 to 1.8.3, any new user attempting to sign up for my forum now gets errors on the sign up page after clicking 'submit' if a certain compulsory custom profile field (multiple choice tickbox) is left blank. 

There is an error for each option in the multiple choice,  along the lines of

Warning [2] Illegal string offset 'NZIA staff member (including admin)' - Line: 999 - File: member.php PHP 5.6.3 (Linux)
Warning [2] Illegal string offset 'NZIA Practice member' - Line: 999 - File: member.php PHP 5.6.3 (Linux)
... etc
you may have to hide the warnings and errors !
admin panel >> configuration >> settings >> Server and Optimization Options
--> Error Type Medium --> select hide Errors and Warnings (or Errors) and save the settings
Hi thanks .m.
What might have triggered the warnings in the first place?  Is this a new bug?

I read that this error message was a problem for earlier versions, but was 'cured' by 1.6?

Is there any danger I might miss other errors that affect functionality if I just switch warnings off and am thus not prompted?
^ your web server has a recent version of PHP and some of MyBB files have incompatibility issues with it.
I do not see any danger in hiding warnings. however you need to check php errors on a regular basis