MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need help installing onto my site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I have been waiting for my webhost over at hostgator to get back to me, but I thought I would post my question here in the meantime. I just transferred my website www.hookedonroleplaying to hostgator, and need to know how to install mybb onto my site. Can I just install it directly? Do I need to install a blogging platform like wordpress first? I'm very lost and confused and not very good when it comes to this sort of thing lol.

Basically, I use phpmyadmin if that makes a difference.

If someone could be so kind as to help me with the installation process, I would be eternally grateful. I am anxious to get my website back up and running, and Mybb has all the plugins I need for a top notch roleplay site. I am willing to give a mybb site admin or support staff member my hostgator login information to help me install the software if needed.

I will be on an off all evening, but you can also reach me by email at bethmasarik [at] gmail [dot] com (replace the words at and dot with their symbols). If you email me directly, please use a subject line similar to something like MyBB support or something like that.

Thank you for your help! I opened my support ticket with hostgator early yesterday morning and they are usually quick with getting back to me, but I guess they must be short staffed this weekend. Was hoping to at least get the software installed onto my website before I go into work tomorrow if possible.

Thanks.

Beth
please see MyBB installation guidance
there is no need to install a blog like wordpress unless you need such platform.

however you need to decide about version of MyBB forum.
latest version (MyBB 1.8.3) does not have lot of plugins.
you may like to install MyBB 1.6.16 as it has many plugins.

latest version of MyBB & MyBB 1.6.16 available here

MyBB 1.8.x version themes & plugins available here

Earlier version's (MyBB 1.6.x) themes & plugins available here
Thank you Smile. I figured out how to install it from hostgator. However, the version they have is outdated. How do I go about with updating to the newest version? All the plugins I want seem to be 1.8 compatible. I've already downloaded the file. Just need to know where to go to upload it to my forum on www.hookedonroleplaying.com
(2014-12-08, 03:34 AM)Bamk84 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you Smile. I figured out how to install it from hostgator. However, the version they have is outdated. How do I go about with updating to the newest version? All the plugins I want seem to be 1.8 compatible. I've already downloaded the file. Just need to know where to go to upload it to my forum on www.hookedonroleplaying.com

http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/
I'd suggest to wipe out earlier installation and do manual installation of MyBB 1.8.3
The problem with that option, is I have no idea where to upload it manually on hostgator. I did the quickinstall initially. I have opened a support ticket with hostgator and will let them know their software is out of date.

or even on Hooked on Roleplaying for that matter. If you could direct me exactly where to go, that would be wonderful.

One more thing. I typed in http://www.hookedonroleplaying.com/install/ and it tells me that it's locked and to remove the lock. Can you recommend an FTP file manager to use so that I can do this?
You can use FileZilla or Smart FTP to upload files to your server... you need to upload the contents inside the upload folder (not the folder itself) of the zip file you download from MyBB... and all the files has to be uploaded inside the public_html folder on your server... to remove the lock, delete the file named lock in the public_html/install folder...
No offense, but this getting to be really, really annoying. Might I suggest that for mybb 2.0 make it easier for people to download the software to their sites without having to use a separate server?
^ web server is necessary to present your forum to the world.
you may like to use a free MyBB hosting service where you do not have to install MyBB (eg. icyboards)
however you can't have much freedom with the themes & plugins with a free MyBB web hosting ..