MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Font Awesome not Awesome?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, most of us are using font awesome in our themes, the icon font delivers scaleable graphics and a quick easy way to add the icons to our themes.

Is there a reason to NOT use font awesome or any icon font?
  • Its huge unless you make a custom build and host it.

• Hosting your own build can cause font-loading to fail if you don't do it right....but only in some browsers in some circumstances

• If the font doesnt load because of some settings in the users browser then the site is covered in empty white boxes or weird symbols.

• It adds a ton of extra markup with all those i class fa fa-bla in the html.

Interested to hear what other coders/designers think and their preferred approach with /alternatives to font awesome.

Disclaimer: I use fontawesome everywhere
Well, whilst it is quite large for a small one page site, for larger sites i think it's size is fine. When you have a large sites and dozens of icons, having an icon font is far more efficient than loading tons of image icons.

Then considering the flexibility in scaling, recolouring, animation. I think its great ^_^

The classes aren't really that much of a problem especially in themes, because you have it in one place. If you were using SASS you could do something like this: http://genesy.me/font-awesome-mixin/

Then you can have a "icon-search" class applied that extends "fa fa-search" or a "icon-forum-unread" that extends "fa fa-circle-o". Then you can have the icon selection held in the sass, requiring only a single change
I only load it as a whole while developing.

Later on I'm compiling a custom build.

Font awesome is not my favorite icon font, I'd have to give that one to the Android Material Design icons but I appreciate it's ease of use and some of it's classes like icon-stack.
I use Font Awesome with nearly every project I start. Example: http://i.imgur.com/XAd0Lzj.png
Don't mind the design, I've only been working on it for a couple of days so far.

I love how easy it is to use and set up. It takes literally minutes to start making websites look more beautiful. I don't mind the size so much, especially when you consider using a CDN. I consider most of the negative points things that can be avoided or fixed if you know what you're doing.

I can't even recall the days where I used images for icons. The thought makes me shudder.