MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help moving from 1.6.16 to a new host with 1.8.3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I have a Ubuntu based installation on a server that I have full control and physical access to. Today I upgraded it to 1.6.16 to make sure the latest version of the 1.6x family was working with my users/threads, etc. Our forums currently have over 400,000 posts, almost 32,000 Threads, and over 1500 members (although only 150-200 that are considered "active"). Add to this that a few years ago I converted over to myBB from a 10 year old version of Snitz running on WinSrv/ASP from a flat access file. Somehow, it's all working famously Smile

So jump ahead and now we're getting ready to move to a new hosted server which is freeBSD based that I will only have ftp access to (although I have a setup support rep who will be able to help). We will be on a shared server so basically a virtual web host on a physical box. They have already setup a vanilla version of 1.8.0. I am going to attempt to do a standard upgrade to 1.8.3 to see if there are access or permission errors right now but the bigger question I have is what would be the best way to handle this transition?

If I can avoid having to install 1.6.x on the new host that would be great, however I do have some theme/template customizations that I really hope to move over. The plugins I can work around, but the theming is a carryover/throwback to the old Snitz forums that the userbase has seen for almost 15 years now.

I have a couple of weeks were I can do some trial and error type tests before we will be forced to make the move so if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Olds

Hoping this isn't a bad one but on the new server which had a base install (was actually 1.8.1) I ran the upgrade (only one user, only the default forum) and got this error

Upgrade Complete

Fatal error: Call to a member function run_hooks() on a non-object in /usr/home/guildmedieval/www/forums/inc/class_parser.php on line 116

Since I'm getting no traction here let me also say that I've read the pertinent docs and am familiar with the standard upgrade process. The reason I'm asking for pointers is that this is both a migration and an upgrade. If there is a truly smooth way to go about it that will save me from headaches, I'm looking for pointers.  Otherwise multiple moves of a 400+ MB database as well as the website as a whole will take place as I test and workout the steps. If anyone has recommendations I'm all ears.

I already see that we will be pretty much toast on our customized themes and templates so I'll have to redo those from pretty much scratch. I also see lack of forward progress on a few of the key plugins we've used and since I'm not quite the coder we will have to take that loss.

As it stands, I guess my only option is to copy the old site/db over to the new server and run the standard upgrade...
(2014-12-12, 01:20 PM)gmOlds Wrote: [ -> ]Hi. I have a Ubuntu based installation on a server that I have full control and physical access to. Today I upgraded it to 1.6.16 to make sure the latest version of the 1.6x family was working with my users/threads, etc. Our forums currently have over 400,000 posts, almost 32,000 Threads, and over 1500 members (although only 150-200 that are considered "active"). Add to this that a few years ago I converted over to myBB from a 10 year old version of Snitz running on WinSrv/ASP from a flat access file. Somehow, it's all working famously Smile

So jump ahead and now we're getting ready to move to a new hosted server which is freeBSD based that I will only have ftp access to (although I have a setup support rep who will be able to help). We will be on a shared server so basically a virtual web host on a physical box. They have already setup a vanilla version of 1.8.0. I am going to attempt to do a standard upgrade to 1.8.3 to see if there are access or permission errors right now but the bigger question I have is what would be the best way to handle this transition?

If I can avoid having to install 1.6.x on the new host that would be great, however I do have some theme/template customizations that I really hope to move over. The plugins I can work around, but the theming is a carryover/throwback to the old Snitz forums that the userbase has seen for almost 15 years now.

I have a couple of weeks were I can do some trial and error type tests before we will be forced to make the move so if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Olds

Hoping this isn't a bad one but on the new server which had a base install (was actually 1.8.1) I ran the upgrade (only one user, only the default forum) and got this error

Upgrade Complete

Fatal error: Call to a member function run_hooks() on a non-object in /usr/home/guildmedieval/www/forums/inc/class_parser.php on line 116

Since I'm getting no traction here let me also say that I've read the pertinent docs and am familiar with the standard upgrade process. The reason I'm asking for pointers is that this is both a migration and an upgrade. If there is a truly smooth way to go about it that will save me from headaches, I'm looking for pointers.  Otherwise multiple moves of a 400+ MB database as well as the website as a whole will take place as I test and workout the steps. If anyone has recommendations I'm all ears.

I already see that we will be pretty much toast on our customized themes and templates so I'll have to redo those from pretty much scratch. I also see lack of forward progress on a few of the key plugins we've used and since I'm not quite the coder we will have to take that loss.

As it stands, I guess my only option is to copy the old site/db over to the new server and run the standard upgrade...

For the themes, all 1.6 themes will not be compatible with 1.8, some things may be compatible but there is new classes, ids in the template.

I would suggest making a copy of both the files and templates running a local test on your own machine or a free webhost, to make sure it works out right.

The plugins, are mostly 1.6 so I would wait intell 1.6 is unsupported, because honnestly, loosing compatibility is the worse. Plus 1.8 right now is gold released but still needs to be stable for most owners to change! I like to think of it as, its still in beta testing! Smile
What plugins do you currently have installed? Quite a few popular plugins are now core in MyBB 1.8 and there are some nice themes you could use as a stopgap while you fix up your own theme.

My advice is to backup your database and all your forum files. Then you have something to go back to if it all goes wrong.

Then upgrade on your current server. Once that is done, again backup the db and get all the files moved over to the new host.

Run forum. Use a 1.8 theme and it should be fine (would like to see plugin list before I state that as gospel).