MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does Hosting Disk Space Limit PM ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My host will provide me with 1GB of disk space and 25GB monthly transfer.

Does personal messaging activity exhaust or otherwise diminish that 1GB of disk space ?

Thanks in advance for advisement.
No - usually the disk space refers only to the size of the files that can be accessed over FTP. If you keep a large amount of PM messages you should check the available database (SQL) size instead, as PMs are saved there.
Quote:If you keep a large amount of PM messages you should check the available database (SQL) size instead, as PMs are saved there.

Does not the forum members control what PM meassages are "kept" ?
If yes, is there any way to limit this saving so as to not consume unnecessary amounts of database space ?

Can an administrator or moderator control SQL consumption ?

And thanks Devilshakerz for your earlier guidance.
(2014-12-13, 09:29 PM)FaithMosaic Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:If you keep a large amount of PM messages you should check the available database (SQL) size instead, as PMs are saved there.

Does not the forum members control what PM meassages are "kept" ?
If yes, is there any way to limit this saving so as to not consume unnecessary amounts of database space ?

Can an administrator or moderator control SQL consumption ?

And thanks Devilshakerz for your earlier guidance.

Users can delete PMs as they wish.
Yes, you can control each user group's PM quota in the ACP.

Yes. Be a proactive administrator and all will be fine.
(2014-12-14, 12:27 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, you can control each user group's PM quota in the ACP.

How do you do that? Looked, but can't find the setting. 

Thank you!
It will take a lot of PMs to really make a huge difference. Everything on your forum requires database space, including forums, users, posts, etc. 10,000 PMs that are only a few hundred words each will not require gigabytes of storage space in your database. Smile

As mentioned above, PM quotas can help you manage database space used with them, but everything on your forum requires database space, so posts, etc. will also contribute to the total size of your database.
I'd usually be more concerned about attachments than PMs for server space. 1gb is plenty.
It does count towards your overall disk space but as others have mentioned, it will take a lot of PMs for you to notice any difference.

If you have a pretty active forum with lots of attachments being posted in the boards, via private messages etc then that can eat up your disk space quite quickly though for starting out, you should be fine with 1GB.

As you need to, you can upgrade or clear some of the attachments etc (or opt for a host offering more space).
It takes thousands of PM's just take up a couple MB's on your server. If things get too excessive I suppose you can use phpMyadmin to delete them all, then recount/rebuild PM's in your forum ACP.