MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Portal Announcement Cutoff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: preview_23276_1418654903_034ff081a4014c7...ae5c5e.png]

Portal Announcements are great but they show all the post content; if you want to trim down the size of the portal announcements then this plugin will set a limit on the number of characters shown in an announcement. The plugin adds an ellipse at the end of the shown text and a read more link.

Features
  • The announcement cuts off at a full word, not half way through
  • The read more link is stylable as a button or as a link after the ellipses
  • If the announcement is shorter than the limit then no read more link is displayed.

Known Issues
  • The plugin will display malformed BB code if the end tag is outside the range of the cut off.

Where to find the settings?

The settings are incorporated into the portal settings in the Portal settings in your ACP.
Personally I do preffer a custom [!--more--] MyCode instead because of the issue you mention. Just saying. Keep going!
Yup, yours is very smart; its a good solution. I made this ready for my upgrade to 1.8 (its just an update of the original) Smile
Following
I have always wanted a plugin like this. Since there wasn't any so I disabled Portal page. BTW Is there any more mycode my Omar G. said ?
(2014-12-15, 11:52 AM)OmarĀ G. Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I do preffer a custom [!--more--] MyCode instead because of the issue you mention. Just saying. Keep going!

Hello Omar, excuse me but could you help us with the link to this mycode custom?
I found this: http://community.mybb.com/thread-99918.html
But the user was banned and the info was gone Sad
It is not a standalone plugin, it is something I coded within my OUGC Show In Portal plugin. You can find it around here in the plugin development section.
Clicking read more opens link in a new window. Is there anyway to keep it in the same window?
It is supposed to open it in a new window. Its a link to the thread.

If you want a panel that slides down showing all content then that is a different thing. Rakes actually did make a simple css/js code for it, but its not a plugin - more of a tip or trick. I will try and find it.

HERE : http://jsfiddle.net/su496zc9/
Is there a fix for the issue of the closing BBCode outside of the character limit?