MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ettiquite question about template modfications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

What is the community stance on major modifications to an existing template?

I've taken a free template, and changed it totally from the original design.

Do I still need to credit the original author or can I credit myself?

Should I say something like "Modified Design by Me - Original By Him" ?

Thanks for the input!
Discussionhub did something of that sort with a themefreak theme a while back, and kept the original attribution along with the attribution to the site owner who had modified the theme. I think that's pretty much considered the "proper" way to do things if the original design isn't yours, but has still been heavily modified. If the original design only made relatively minor changes to the MyBB default styling, have you considered recoding it based on the MyBB default in order to maintain one single attribution and all rights to the design/theme?
(2014-12-15, 07:52 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]Discussionhub did something of that sort with a themefreak theme a while back, and kept the original attribution along with the attribution to the site owner who had modified the theme. I think that's pretty much considered the "proper" way to do things if the original design isn't yours, but has still been heavily modified. If the original design only made relatively minor changes to the MyBB default styling, have you considered recoding it based on the MyBB default in order to maintain one single attribution and all rights to the design/theme?

I did, but the original theme had the foundation for what I wanted vs coding it myself which was the bootstrap grid system.

I think I will just duel credit it like "Modified Design by Me - Original by Him" way, but I wanted to make sure this was adequate enough.
I'd say duel credit. I know as someone who makes skins, if I could tell you'd used mine as a base, I would kinda want you to still acknowledge the time and effort I would have put into it.
Thanks for the feedback! I will duel credit