MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Merging SMF to BB 1.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After months of prepping the site to look and behave like I want, I am ready to take the next step in converting to mybb from smf.  I have two quick questions about the process.

1. Will the system "merge" the info I have been building in mybb or will everything be overwritten by smf database?
2. If that's the case can I then merge my mybb info the new mybb conversion.
It merges the data so nothing is overwritten. The only module that may overwrite some data is the settings module.
I also built the "new" site in a subfolder. Would the steps be to migrate/merge the old forum to new subforum, then move the subfolder to the main directory? Will this effect the sql databases in anyway?
(2014-12-17, 10:53 PM)user25 Wrote: [ -> ]I also built the "new" site in a subfolder.  Would the steps be to migrate/merge the old forum to new subforum, then move the subfolder to the main directory?  Will this effect the sql databases in anyway?

You can use the same method. I am pretty positiive some settings like cookies will be saved wrongly, if its done in root, and re moved to a subfolder.

I would just make a backup of smf + database (as you never know. Computers aren't perfect!) and put the directory you want.

Ex: /forums

and have the merge tool located within the same directory of /forums so it would be /forums/merge
Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to merge into the main directory or keep the sub-directory I created mybb on?
^ put forum offline and take the backup of the database.
if you have copied MyBB forum to sub-folder then you may merge into main folder or sub-folder as you wish (both are same)
Sorry to be clear, do I "merge" the sub-folder by "moving" it into the main directory, THEN move the merge directory into the main directory? Then run the merge.

I am missing something in my database connection settings. Do the fields include preceding db and usernames?