MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: VBulletin 4.2 to mybb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys Im planning to migrate a big forum with over 19,000 members, I've been reading the merge "tutorial", but I don't understand a few things...

Should I upload the new folder called merge with the zip file inside to the root directory, and then upload the database to the new server?

Im planning keep the same domain name, im just trying to migrate everything to a new server.

How do I start? Im kinda confused..

After the migration... I know that I'll loose the avatars and signatures, but what about the attachments? The forum has been running for over 12 years, so there are a lot of images

I dont know what to do after this..

Quote:Make sure that the directory structure is kept. (ie. the files in the admin directory should be uploaded to a directory called admin, the files in the archive directory should be uploaded to a directory called archive, etc)
Make sure that you upload the .php, .html, .css and any other text file in ASCII mode, and that you upload the .gif, .jpg, .png, and any other binary file in Binary mode (see your FTP software documentation)

Thanks in advance, i hope you guys can help me.
recently a member reported that vB 3.8.7 migration to MyBB was smooth.
we believe that there will be no problem with vB 4.2
if attachments are stored in the database then they should migrate fine.

merge zip file should be extracted and resulted folder needs to be uploaded to MyBB files server
eg. if MyBB files are in forum folder then merge should be a subfolder of forum
I upgraded from vBulletin 3.8.7....Basically brought that up on my nice new server. Ensured it was working correctly. Then installed mybb and ensure that is working correctly. Then just copy the merge folder into the mybb space as a subfolder, and navigate to to it. Then follow the instructions on the screen.

There was a fair few attachments and they all came through just fine. I done it a couple of times and it was quick and easy.
(2014-12-21, 08:34 PM)ict22 Wrote: [ -> ]I upgraded from vBulletin 3.8.7....Basically brought that up on my nice new server. Ensured it was working correctly. Then installed mybb and ensure that is working correctly. Then just copy the merge folder into the mybb space as a subfolder, and navigate to to it. Then follow the instructions on the screen.

There was a fair few attachments and they all came through just fine. I done it a couple of times and it was quick and easy.

Thanks for your reply..

Humm im a little bit confused because I have a hosting account with another provider, so basically what Im trying to do is to move the domain name to my hosting DNS and move the whole site to the new hosting provider.

Do I need to transfer everything first, or I can just create the new forum using the database ..

one more thing.. what would happen with the SEO?

Thanks in advance