MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A MyBB plugin compatibility guide upon upgrading from 1.6 to 1.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
MyBB plugin compatibility guide upon upgrading from 1.6 to 1.8

(former thread title: Advantages and Disadvantages of upgrading from 1.6 to 1.8)

A lot of time has passed since I last posted here. A lot of new faces here as well.

I'm using 1.6 and I can see that finally 1.8 was released (I think it came out too late, honestly).

Background: Back in 2012, I started my forum having 1.8 in mind. 1.6 was already too old but since 1.8 was about to be released, I waited a bit. And since it took so long to be released, I decided to do a lot of customization in the meantime. And so 2 years and a half passed. Just too long.

Current status: My forum themes and templates went through serious modifications, some of them even using template conditionals. For example, some forums have a different layout in the main page (if forum=XX, then a different layout).

Problem: I was thinking of upgrading but then I read this thread: http://community.mybb.com/thread-164185.html and realized that if I move, the whole forum may turn into a serious mess.

Also there's been like over an year since I last touched the code, I don't know anymore where to start. My buttons are all CSS, very unique with lots of work on it.

And finally the list of plugins is fat but, mind you, very functional:

Subforums In Columns (1.0) Show subforums in columns.
Advanced Quick Reply Form (1.0.3) This plugin adds the MyCode Editor and the Smilie Inserter to the Quick Reply form.
Ajax PM Notification (1.8.1) Checks automatic for new PM in background.
Dissect/Duplicate Posts (1.21) This will add an additional moderation tool which allows posts to be duplicated via Inline Post Moderation. If only one post is selected, the post may be "dissected" or split.
Courtesy Edit Time (1.0) Allow a courtesy edit time, whereby the 'edited by' message won't show up for a set amount of time.
Edit Time Limit/Legend Permissions (1.0.1) Adds two usergroup permissions for edit time limit and removing Edited by legend.
Fassim Anti Spam (1.3) Anti spam plugin to block known spammers via IP and Email Address. Allows easy way to block countries, anonymous proxies, regions, top ISPs and domain spammers. *Goto settings to enter API Key.*
Profilefields On Postbit (1.0) Shows custom profilefields on postbit, if not left blank by user.
Fit on Page (2.3) Resizes embeded images in posts to fit the page and not run over.
Hide thread ratings (1.1) This plugin hides the thread ratings..
User IP Log (1.1) Logs a members IP every time they login.
Move Posts (1.1) Allows moderators to move posts from one thread to another.
MyShoutbox (1.7) A powerful AJAX shoutbox for MyBB.
MyTabs (1.32) Lets you implement tabbed browsing in your forum.
MyTheme (2.0) A nicely integrated theme changer for MyBB forums.
Template Conditionals (1.5) Allows you to use PHP conditionals in templates. This is the "safe" variant of the PHP and Conditionals in Templates plugin.
[Image: prostats.gif] ProStats /proʊˈstæts/ (1.9.5) Professional stats for MyBB.
QuickQuote (1.0) Created by Aries-Belgium
Register Time (1.1) Stop automated spammers by testing the time it takes for a user to register. If the time it less then a few seconds (currently set at 60 seconds) the registration will be denied.
Rules (v1.2) You can add your forum rules and user must accept it or will be logouted.
Stop Forum Spam (1.4) Prevents users who are listed at http://www.stopforumspam.com from registering.
Tapatalk (3.9.0) Tapatalk Plugin for MyBB
Thank You/Like System (1.5) Adds option for users to Thank the user for the post or 'Like' the post.
Trash Can Forum (2.0) Deleted Threads Will Automatically be moved to this forum
User Quickmenu In Postbit (1.0) Displays a quick user menu for the user in postbit profile block.
View All Posts by a User in Thread (2.1.1) Allows users to search and view a specific user's posts within a specific thread.
While you were typing (1.3) Shows you a message if another user has posted already on a thread while you were typing.
Who Viewed Topic (1.0.1) Adds a link on topic display for forum moderators to view who viewed that topic
XThreads v1.53, now taking up less space in your ACP plugins list.

OK, what will I lose?
Do these plugins work? 1. Some of them? which ones? or 2. None work?
What's the word on this?

The themes and templates:
Will the themes and templates be all messed up? I have lots of customizations in the postbit, for example, with clickable stuff and all.

I don't want to fix something that is not broken, so I'd like to move and still have the forum working with the same look and functions.

Before I do anything that I might regret I wil wait for the community's input. What do you recommend?

Thank you in advance.
Hi Sector Smile

Quite a few of the plugins are no longer needed as they are core in MyBB 1.8 (check out the docs). Those plugins using prototype.js based code will no longer work; While you Were Typing is an example. Most plugins (not all) will work with a compatibility change.

As MyBB 1.8 ships with soft delete then the trash can forum may no longer be needed, stop forum spam is also integrated. Have a look through the 1.8 plugins - I think most of what you need have been ported to MyBB 1.8.

The templates - depending on your level of customisation; this could be a huge task. For leefish I had about 100 templates to check. The critical templates are those using javascript, especially the postbit.

It is doable; once MentionMe is running on 1.8 with MyAlerts then I will upgrade leefish from 1.6. You need to do the same thing I think; determine if any plugin is an absolute must have; if it is, wait for it to be upgraded to 1.8 or upgrade it yourself before you go to 1.8.
Lucky my favourite staff member is still here and was first to reply!

Many thanks, Leefish!

I realized that we have CSS buttons now. I just have to edit stylesheets to make them look like they are right now with gloss and shades. One thing less to do.

Could you quote my list and help me strike the plugins I don't need any more? at least those you are sure about.
It would help a lot if the list wasn't knee deep in styling. Toungue

When I try and preview I get a cloudflare thing and its irritating me to hell. If you edit to make that just a list of plugins then sure I can try. But really? You can just look on the plugins site and in the docs.
Please Smile

Advanced Quick Reply Form (1.0.3) This plugin adds the MyCode Editor and the Smilie Inserter to the Quick Reply form.

Dissect/Duplicate Posts (1.21) This will add an additional moderation tool which allows posts to be duplicated via Inline Post Moderation. If only one post is selected, the post may be "dissected" or split.

Courtesy Edit Time (1.0) Allow a courtesy edit time, whereby the 'edited by' message won't show up for a set amount of time.

Edit Time Limit/Legend Permissions (1.0.1) Adds two usergroup permissions for edit time limit and removing Edited by legend.

Fassim Anti Spam (1.3) Anti spam plugin to block known spammers via IP and Email Address. Allows easy way to block countries, anonymous proxies, regions, top ISPs and domain spammers. *Goto settings to enter API Key.*

Profilefields On Postbit (1.0) Shows custom profilefields on postbit, if not left blank by user.

Fit on Page (2.3) Resizes embeded images in posts to fit the page and not run over.

Template Conditionals (1.5) Allows you to use PHP conditionals in templates. This is the "safe" variant of the PHP and Conditionals in Templates plugin.

ProStats /proʊˈstæts/ (1.9.5) Professional stats for MyBB.

QuickQuote (1.0) Created by Aries-Belgium

Register Time (1.1) Stop automated spammers by testing the time it takes for a user to register. If the time it less then a few seconds (currently set at 60 seconds) the registration will be denied.

Rules (v1.2) You can add your forum rules and user must accept it or will be logouted.

Stop Forum Spam (1.4) Prevents users who are listed at http://www.stopforumspam.com from registering.

Tapatalk (3.9.0) Tapatalk Plugin for MyBB

Thank You/Like System (1.5) Adds option for users to Thank the user for the post or 'Like' the post.

User Quickmenu In Postbit (1.0) Displays a quick user menu for the user in postbit profile block.

View All Posts by a User in Thread (2.1.1) Allows users to search and view a specific user's posts within a specific thread.

While you were typing (1.3) Shows you a message if another user has posted already on a thread while you were typing.

Who Viewed Topic (1.0.1) Adds a link on topic display for forum moderators to view who viewed that topic

XThreads v1.53
RED: no known replacement (as far as I know)
Strike = in 1.8
GREEN : Updated plugin / Similar plugin for 1.8
Pink: no idea

(2014-12-21, 10:03 AM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]Please Smile

Advanced Quick Reply Form (1.0.3) This plugin adds the MyCode Editor and the Smilie Inserter to the Quick Reply form. - new plugin by Martec

ProStats /proʊˈstæts/ (1.9.5) Professional stats for MyBB.

QuickQuote (1.0) Created by Aries-Belgium - lukasamd has one

Tapatalk (3.9.0) Tapatalk Plugin for MyBB (works on 1.8)

Thank You/Like System (1.5) Adds option for users to Thank the user for the post or 'Like' the post. - updated in release thread....

XThreads v1.53 (is updated)
To extend the above:
Subforums In Columns - can be done with HTML/CSS changes, no plugin needed. There are multiple tutorials for this.
Courtesy Edit Time - should work after compatibility change.
Move Posts - default feature in 1.8 under Inline Post Moderation.
MyShoutbox - Inferno Shoutbox has similar features: https://github.com/TechyZeldaNerd/The-In...box-of-Din There is also DVZ shoutbox.
MyTabs - can be done with jQuery tutorials like this: http://community.mybb.com/thread-139594.html No plugin needed.
Rules - shoul;d work after compatibility change.
Trash Can Forum - can be done with Custom Moderator Tools, no plugin needed.
User Quickmenu In Postbit - can be done with HTML/CSS/JS edits, no plugin needed.
Who Viewed Topic - updated for 1.8: http://community.mybb.com/thread-159609.html
Superb, guys! Many thanks.

Destroyer, yes, well problem is I don't have knowledge right now to do a Quick Menu by myself.

I used to write some programs in C++, VB. Some HTML. I learned some stuff while doing CSS buttons but pretty much ends there. I did many things based on existing stuff.

Another problem with manual modifications, for example, I did a customization to the Memberlist (I didn't want banned users to show up) but almost every upgrade brought a new memberlist.php. So I gave up going back and forth editing files each upgrade.

I'll be happy to learn how to do it or even chip in for someone to.

Another question, do you think i should simulate an upgrade to 1.8 in my computer with XAMMP first?
(2014-12-21, 03:30 PM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]Another problem with manual modifications, for example, I did a customization to the Memberlist (I didn't want banned users to show up) but almost every upgrade brought a new memberlist.php. So I gave up going back and forth editing files each upgrade.

Manual modifications in templates work differently, they're not lost during upgrades.

(2014-12-21, 03:30 PM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]Another question, do you think i should simulate an upgrade to 1.8 in my computer with XAMMP first?

Why not. Also make sure to backup 1.6 files/database in case something goes wrong.
I've just installed 1.8 in my computer with XAMPP.

It's really a huge task ahead and I've forgotten a lot of things.

I should have written a guide of what I did throughout time.

Don't know where to start. It really feels discouraging.

Lots of useful plugins missing. And I don't see these mods being redone anytime soon. The forums were already in decline in 2012. The time that passed until 1.8 finally came out was too much.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see people coming back and remaking many of the plugins that there used to be. Likewise I don't believe other people will be actively making equivalent new ones.

I don't have any idea how to make modifications like "Who viewed this topic" and that one is very important.
Pages: 1 2 3