MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Auto update or upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I can understand Euans worries about the infrastructure and the staffing.

How about a simplyfied, more userfriendly system then?
e.g.: the user downloads the update zip on his own, extracts the zip on his own and uploads the contents to ONE ftp folder "uploads_upgrades" (or something like that). Then a new area in ACP notices the new update, tells the admin what will be made and which files will be overwritten (perhaps with text compare possibility?), guides him step by step with clicking "next" through the upgrade and shows him afterwards the changed template sections etc.
@up: good idea. Its even possible to create zip uploader in admin panel.
download patch from mybb.com -> login and upload zip in ACP -> check and accept patch.

BTW: this should be also implemented for plugins.
This would be better left as an official plugin or something since most administrators wouldn't trust something that extreme.

I know I wouldn't.
(2016-06-08, 06:53 PM)Wage Wrote: [ -> ]This would be better left as an official plugin or something since most administrators wouldn't trust something that extreme.

I know I wouldn't.

Latest ideas mentioned here would work more like an extension of the current system, which lacks proper tools for comparing changes in language files/strings, templates (between releases), CSS (no upgrade mechanism whatsoever) and core files (changes between releases & conflicts; a hash function stronger than md5 has to be implemented) - half of which can be achieved with automated software hosted on our (*.mybb.com) sites (e.g. MyBB.de hosts a crossreference based on PHP files).
Besides that, another element that's greatly missed in 1.8.x is a way to upgrade theme packages a fashion similar to how MyBB handles conflicts after upgrading the core.

Whichever way the new package would be placed (administrator or the installation itself), it's actually more secure when MyBB performs additional checkups on it.
Hi,

Your MyBB 2.0 suggestion has unfortunately been rejected. Your suggestion does not fit with the direction that MyBB is heading in as a project at this time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4