MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Shorten URL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I like to help mybb with developing but i am unable. because i am new to mybb and recently i have created a new forum with mybb. so i don't have much knowledge about mybb structure and it coding.

But i can help mybb in idea and suggestion for new features.

Mybb is free and open source so peoples love mybb, so why they like to destroy mybb.

let we think if some of hacked successfully shorten url link server than what happen. nothing hacker can do, only they get a list of thousand of short link, using that link he can't do anything. and if he destroy the shorten link, then it can be easily back up. because every shorten like required only 1 bit. so if mybb has about 1 million shorten link. it required 1 million bit space. that means million bit = 125 KB .

Making a back up of 125KB may take only 5 Sec.

Again i am saying it not too hard.

I have given a best suggestion to mybb to develop there features to next generation.

Just think.......

if u need i can also send blue print with image that make u understanding easily.
Quote:because every shorten like required only 1 bit. so if mybb has about 1 million shorten link. it required 1 million bit space. that means million bit = 125 KB .

You really need to check your math because once again you're pulling numbers out of thin air. I do understand what you're suggesting perfectly, but it's not feasible. I've given many reasons why and if you're just going to say "it's easy, doesn't require much space, here's a bunch of numbers I made up, do it" then I'm not able to argue any further and it's getting boring. I'll just wait for the rest of the team to repeat exactly what I've already told you.
(2014-12-30, 06:21 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:because every shorten like required only 1 bit. so if mybb has about 1 million shorten link. it required 1 million bit space. that means million bit = 125 KB .

You really need to check your math because once again you're pulling numbers out of thin air. I do understand what you're suggesting perfectly, but it's not feasible. I've given many reasons why and if you're just going to say "it's easy, doesn't require much space, here's a bunch of numbers I made up, do it" then I'm not able to argue any further and it's getting boring. I'll just wait for the rest of the team to repeat exactly what I've already told you.

Can't we just close this because he clearly will not stop to think for at least 15 seconds... Thus there's no point even bothering.
Okay.

I have just given a idea for developing mybb to next generation. if it possible do it. if not just ignore this.

But i like to see this feature in mybb next version and i hope many of the mybb user feel happy in seeing this feature in mybb next version.

again once think about this.

And If it not possible then Ignore It.
(2014-12-28, 06:47 AM)rajeevrrs55 Wrote: [ -> ]If mybb forums provide shorten url features for mybb thread long url to shorten url like : mybb.in/shortenurl, mybb.ly/shortenurl .

It automatic create a shorten mybb threal url for every mybb thread long link.

Blue print for shorten your :

mybb thread your [http://community.mybb.com/thread-164653-...27722.html] to mybb shorten url something like this [http://mybb.in/xyz] or [http://mybb.ly/xyz] or any thing.

(2014-12-29, 10:08 AM)rajeevrrs55 Wrote: [ -> ]If mybb developer try, then it possible.

Again i am saying it not too hard. domain name cost is not so high and shorten url does not takes more bandwidth or disk space.

and this script is going to run in mybb user server, not in mybb official server.

(2014-12-30, 06:16 AM)rajeevrrs55 Wrote: [ -> ]because every shorten like required only 1 bit. so if mybb has about 1 million shorten link.  it required 1 million bit space. that means  million bit = 125 KB .

You contradict yourself in those three statements and show a clear lack of understanding what a domain is and how the internet works.

First, if you want to use e.g. the domain "http://mybb.in" as a url for shortened links for all forums, then that domain has to point somewhere (a specific server). Usually it would be a server run by the MyBB team. Let's call that server "Shorty". "Shorty" needs to know how to handle the "/xyz" part of a shortened url, which means it needs to have a database with enough information to map "xyz" to e.g. "http://community.mybb.com/thread-164653-post-1127722.html".

But how can Shorty know that "xyz" points to that url? The information has to come from somewhere. Which means every time someone posts a link in any forum that runs the mybb software, that forum server has to contact "Shorty" and give it that information. This would be really error-prone, slow and overall definitely not very pleasant for both forum owners and the mybb team. Also it would essentially be the same (for the forum owner) as simply using bit.ly directly. The data where each link points is not stored with the forum, but instead with "Shorty".

Also one entry in the database would likely take at least 1 KByte, not 1 bit (8000 times more than your calculation). 1 Bit would only be "1 or 0", I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that 1 Bit would be enough to store a whole url and the shortened url, as it is not even enough to store a single letter.

If you want to let the forums do all the heavy work themselves (remembering which shortened url points to which real url and the forwarding to said urls), then you simply can't use a single domain like "mybb.in".

You could however create a plugin that allows automatic creation of "shortened" urls of the form "http://urloftheforum.com/short/xyz" (or similar). But that is not really short (for most forums) and it would be something that should be implemented in a plugin, not as a real forum feature, because it is unlikely that people have a lot of interest in this.
An official URL shortener is not going to happen. Of course, you're free to write (or hire a developer to write) a plugin to use an existing shortening service yourself. In fact, an old forum (wedesignthe.net) did just this and we created a dedicated shortening service that the board used.

I'll be locking this now. There's no need for this to get heated Smile
Pages: 1 2