MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion: MyBB Developers Wanted - Please Read
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi MyBB Developers

I strongly suggest you look into collaborating with a company called: Akismet They're working on an excellent piece of software that automatically stops Spam dead in it's tracks and can be used on forums.

The Anti-Spam software is open for developers and is already in use by many other forums and blog owners/companies such as PhpBB, Phorum, SMF, Word Press and many others. (I did not see MyBB on the list)

With the collaboration of skilled MyBB developers I'm confident you'll be able to modify/adapt the Akismet Anti-Spam software and have it available for "free" for all MyBB users in the near future Smile

This would be a fantastic addition to MyBB, for more information please Click Here

Good luck!

Wishing MyBB staff and members great success Smile

Regards,
Greg (GS)
I just looked at the plugin for PunBB, and it looks fairly easy to port to MyBB. I think it would be useful, but keep it as a plugin.
Sorry! I should have said; "Plugin" (I guess that's a different term to software)

Yes I agree, it would be very useful Smile

Users would only need to download and install the "Plugin" or maybe in the future MyBB developers might be able to develope it's own and have it intergrated into the board itself as part of the system! It sure would be a great additional security feature as the threat of Spam becomes far more problematic to board administrators.
Though my forum has been lucky enough never to have been attacked by spammers / spambots, there is no reason not to be safe. MyBB should develop its own version of this though, because every forum software should try and prevent spammers from getting in. The current image verification system is good, but bots are learning to recognise letters in weird fonts and eventually "brute force" their way through, by guessing the most likely letter...
I agree that it would be a good plugin. Akismet does a great job. It doesn't make sense (to me at least) for us to spend time to replicate the service that it provides. It's not like Akismet doesn't provide an API to use.
I'll work on making this a plugin. I'm still figuring out the API (which shouldn't take long)
Thanks for your replies! That's excellent you'll be working on the plugin Smile
*GS* Wrote:Thanks for your replies! That's excellent you'll be working on the plugin Smile
The plugin and has been finished already by TikitikiWink Toungue.
o.o it's not finished o.o
DrPoodle Wrote:Though my forum has been lucky enough never to have been attacked by spammers / spambots, there is no reason not to be safe. MyBB should develop its own version of this though, because every forum software should try and prevent spammers from getting in. The current image verification system is good, but bots are learning to recognise letters in weird fonts and eventually "brute force" their way through, by guessing the most likely letter...

I agree with your point in developing our own software when it comes to security and it is not that far bots would make the forum software much tougher place for discussion.

Programs are being written.
Pages: 1 2