MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How many forums can MyBB handle/create?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone! Just joined, so this is my first thread and post. I apologize if this is the wrong section to ask this, so feel free to move this if it is.

I've been doing a lot of research on forum software recently for a new site I'm creating. I only really have experience with vBulletin from another site I own. After trying out what's currently available and weighing the pros and cons of each (which they all have), I've narrowed my choices to Xenforo and MyBB. MyBB appears to be a better option for exactly what I want to create, but there is one big question I haven't found an answer to yet:

How many forums can MyBB create and handle?

I know that my server/host will have an effect on this to a degree (as well as some other potential variables), but I'm wondering a general estimate of what MyBB can handle. I'm looking to have upwards of 5,000 forums available if this is possible (a lot, I know). Xenforo appears to be able to handle this from what I have learned, but as I mentioned, MyBB seems to be a better option for me if it can handle what I'm looking for it to do.

Hopefully someone can help give me a good answer for this.

Thanks guys and Happy New Year!  Wink
I don't know of any forum which has 5,000+ forums within it. MyBB wasn't designed for such a seemingly strange amount of forums. You'd certainly encounter performance issues. Anything up to 500 should run ok.

Why do you need 5,000+ forums?
(2015-01-02, 11:06 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know of any forum which has 5,000+ forums within it. MyBB wasn't designed for such a seemingly strange amount of forums. You'd certainly encounter performance issues. Anything up to 500 should run ok.

Why do you need 5,000+ forums?

Tested it with my dev forum a while ago with 1k forums and 8 threads each with 10 posts per thread worked just fine and don't see why it wouldn't.

Well the only thing you'll find somewhat of a problem with is the cache as it'll grow to an huge size and slow stuff down.
Infact, it'll be a huge trouble with 5k forums if disk/memcache due to loading insane amounts of data each time.
I rewrote our cache to use igbinary so we can cut down on the size of files as memcache is just a big problem and slow if has large amounts of data.

So unless op takes out those cache features he'll run in to quite some problems.
I seen some sort of xbox forum with like over 20,000 forums and it runned perfectly.
Wasn't on mybb though probably.