MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mediawiki and mybb money
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is it legal to make advertising money off a site running both?
Yes, if you are only putting up advertising.

You are not allowed to sell MyBB in any way, although you can charge your users to register / use it on your site. Any redistribution you do for monetary gain is illegal.

Adverts are fine though...and a lot of forums have them.

I would too if Google hadn't banned my account *sniff*
DrPoodle Wrote:Yes, if you are only putting up advertising.

You are not allowed to sell MyBB in any way, although you can charge your users to register / use it on your site. Any redistribution you do for monetary gain is illegal.

Adverts are fine though...and a lot of forums have them.

I would too if Google hadn't banned my account *sniff*

same for mediawiki?

ps. why did google ban your acct?
DrPoodle Wrote:I would too if Google hadn't banned my account *sniff*

Same Sad They seem to ban unfairly :\

As for mediawiki, you'll have to contact them. I'm not sure of their license. You can view ours here: [Wiki: License] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
Google banned me because of "more then one click from the same IP in less than 24 hours".

Essentially, its a hidden little rule which I only found out about by continually probing them and asking why they had banned my account etc. Its also a completely stupid rule because they assume that people aren't going to click on two adverts at the same site, and so all people who do this are just trying to make the site money...

The thing is, Google could *so easily* make a workaround, such as only allowing 1 click from each IP to be recorded ever 24 hours...but they only think about their own profit...
Quote:The thing is, Google could *so easily* make a workaround, such as only allowing 1 click from each IP to be recorded ever 24 hours...but they only think about their own profit...
True that... But that will at least require them to have 2x more processing power than they have now, so yeah, they're thinking of their own profit only.

and why should they care anyways? Many people are dieing to use them and they do not need so many publishers. Yahoo's similar program is progressing at a speed of snail, and the same can be said for MSN. So they literally have no competition (forget the rest of the advertising networks, they're all crap...)