MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Users with an ip of 0 or weird characters.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im running 1.6 and i have started to see to things occur more and more frequently.

First of all some users have an ip of 0, and in other cases they have a weird encryption like 2001:981:3158:1:6e4f:2ee1:3cdb.

the 2nd one im sure is because ipv6 is not supported in 1.6 but im not sure about the first.

Im wondering if their is a plugin or changes i could make to resolve this as upgrading is just not an option right now, due to functionality loss of other plugins.

Im worried that users may not be able to sign up, or that if someone spams i will not be able to ban them.

what would you suggest? can anything be done.
Backup your database and plugin and delete all files and reinstall mybb 1.6.x and import backup files and database. Hope this solve your issues. Or upgrade to mybb 1.8.x
There is limited support for IPv6 in the MyBB 1.6 series, but that is indeed an IPv6 address. As for the IP address being '0', do you have the Scrutinize user IP address setting enabled?

(2015-01-10, 06:06 PM)rajeevrrs55 Wrote: [ -> ]Backup your database and plugin and delete all files and reinstall mybb 1.6.x and import backup files and database. Hope this solve your issues. Or upgrade to mybb 1.8.x

Please ignore this horrible advice.
(2015-01-10, 06:15 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]There is limited support for IPv6 in the MyBB 1.6 series, but that is indeed an IPv6 address. As for the IP address being '0', do you have the Scrutinize user IP address setting enabled?

(2015-01-10, 06:06 PM)rajeevrrs55 Wrote: [ -> ]Backup your database and plugin and delete all files and reinstall mybb 1.6.x and import backup files and database.  Hope this solve your issues.  Or upgrade to mybb 1.8.x

Please ignore this horrible advice.

Ignoring the above advise.

I do not have Scrutinize user IP address enabled.
well?
It is suggested you upgrade to the 1.8 series because the 1.8 series does have support for IPv6 addresses. You can try looking at the /inc/functions.php file for the 1.8 series on Github. I believe the 1.6 series still uses the function get_ip for IP Addresses.
Note that 2001::/32 is not a "real" IPv6 subnet. It's used for Teredo IPv6-to-IPv4 tunneling. Smile
(2015-01-14, 01:48 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]It is suggested you upgrade to the 1.8 series because the 1.8 series does have support for IPv6 addresses.  You can try looking at the /inc/functions.php file for the 1.8 series on Github.  I believe the 1.6 series still uses the function get_ip for IP Addresses.

Hmm yeh but then i would lose functionality of 75% of the plugins hmm, oh well i'll just have to stick with 1.6 for now and hope no one with one of those ip's misbehaves.

Since i cant ban them
Question: Does anyone have input on some ip's being 0 ?? i just turned on scrutinize ip to see if that fixes it but im not sure yet.

any tips.
(2015-01-29, 03:40 AM)dmpops22 Wrote: [ -> ]Question: Does anyone have input on some ip's being 0 ?? i just turned on scrutinize ip to see if that fixes it but im not sure yet.

any tips.

yeh still getting ip's as 0