MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spammers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if anybody else has spammers on their forums that are putting website links on their profile and filling out their bio then they log off again. This seems to be a common problem on my forum, I'm using the default register page using the default captcha.
Have you enabled the Registration Question feature? If yes, have you changed the question? I'd recommend having a question a real user would know that relates to your forum's niche. An example would be a who's that Pokemon if you have a Pokemon forum.

Another thing that may help is under Usergroups unchecking the Can Change Website option. Think about also setting a post count before a user can add a signature. Bots often have signatures that have links in them.
Or, give answer in question itself. Completely unrelated but easy for humans.
(2015-01-12, 02:27 PM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]Or, give answer in question itself. Completely unrelated but easy for humans.

I don't like doing that because I don't want people who don't know the first thing about it on a community I manage.
I get some every now and then but not too many. To be honest I so not use any special measures...except that the important forums with activity require special permissions. They end up posting spam in non important forums.
One of my forums has been getting hit quite a bit lately. It seems they are still getting in even after setting a wild-card IP ban for persistently common address values. Previous versions of MyBB seemed to catch them. The current version seems to let them through even when all values, except the first one, are set to 'wild-card'.
(2015-01-16, 05:48 PM)dcaduser Wrote: [ -> ]One of my forums has been getting hit quite a bit lately. It seems they are still getting in even after setting a wild-card IP ban for persistently common address values. Previous versions of MyBB seemed to catch them. The current version seems to let them through even when all values, except the first one, are set to 'wild-card'.

Wildcard IP-Bans don't work in 1.8.3 due to a known bug that will be fixed in 1.8.4. The bug also affects other locations where IP-adresses with wildcards can be used.

The existing bug report specific for this problem: http://community.mybb.com/thread-161124.html
Thanks for the info Evenprime.
You can use wildcard IPs through your Cpanel.
I just wanted to say that I've added registration questions that only the intended members should know the answer to and deactivated the default (and very generic) "2+2=" question. By doing so, I haven't had any 'undesirable' registrations since. Although they do still seem to be trying to register. - Profusely, I might add.

Unfortunately, that may not be the best solution for other, more generic 'open-topic/open-audience' type of forums. But it is working for me - for now.

In previous versions of MyBB, they never could get to the registration page. In fact, they couldn't even see my forum's homepage because one or more values in my banned IP address list prevented them from accessing it.

I'm looking forward to the next MyBB update so that those known spammers/attackers, based on IP address range bans, won't be able to eat-up my site's resources while attempting to register.Toungue